Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2010, 12:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default How does a AMD stock cooler connect to the motherboard?

How does it connect? Is it push pins like intels? (I've never been able to get the push pins to work with intels stock fan) or is it screws? I sorta need to know this soon cause I'm just about to place another order for my HTPC so if anyone can help that would be great :D
Old December 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's a LOT easier than push pins. It's a metal lever that hooks onto a piece of plastic on the motherboard. Here's kind of an example, should give you the gist of it albeit not a stock heatsink. (The lever is on the other side.)

Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 14, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

it's called a retention clip
Old December 14, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep it's insanely easy compared to intel's pushpins. The retention latch has worked since the old'n days and I see no reason why it should be replaced

Push, click, secured.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old December 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
Banned
F@H

you can do it with one hand, no need to make sure not to overbend the board like for intel. hell you can do it with your eyes closed lol. when you remove it, just make sure you dont pop the cpu out, always wiggle the cooler lose and take it out a bit to the side then upor unscrew the retention and try to go side ways as much as possible. one thing i like about intels way of keeping the cpu down is that no way in hell you can pop it out without properly wanting to.

i had a youtube video on hand but cant find it lol
Old December 14, 2010, 05:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
when you remove it, just make sure you dont pop the cpu out, always wiggle the cooler lose and take it out a bit to the side then upor unscrew the retention and try to go side ways as much as possible. one thing i like about intels way of keeping the cpu down is that no way in hell you can pop it out without properly wanting to
Yeah, but I've never had any problems with the CPU when that happens. So probably not a huge deal.

Definitely far easier to mount than Intel though. That's for sure.
Old December 14, 2010, 05:23 PM
Banned
F@H

if you manage to pull it completely straight up,sure...else, bent/broken pins. i know, since ive done in a few cpus from the hundreds or more ive dealth with...:)
Old December 14, 2010, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
if you manage to pull it completely straight up,sure...else, bent/broken pins. i know, since ive done in a few cpus from the hundreds or more ive dealth with...:)
I've been lucky and never broke any, maybe bent a few but I've been able to bend them straight or just wiggle it into the socket ;)

I did kill a socket A board as I slipped with a screw driver getting the clip off, but luckily AMD has made it easier since then.

The only downfall that I've experienced with AMD's way is that the plastic retention frame around the socket can break. I had one of the plastic ends break off and thus the heatsink came off.
Old December 14, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Release clip, twist while pushing downwards to break the TIM's seal, lift off. I have used that method since the T-bird days as long as you apply downward force while twisting your golden pulling upwards and twisting will result as you said, bent pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton