Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2010, 05:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Quick question about Fan Controllers and Fans

Hey, I recently bought a Lamptron FC5v2 through a US site and it hasn't arrived yet. But I was wondering if the fans have to be PWM in order for me to control the RPM using the Lamptron. Reason I'm asking is because I have 4 Delta 120mm x 25mm fans which are pretty loud. They have a 3 pin and a 4 pin molex connection. The 3 pin only has one blue wire going into it and when I tried connecting them to my motherboard and using the fan control function they do not show up. If the 3 pin is connected only, they do not run. If both 3 pin and 4 pin molex are connected, they run at full 3700 RPM.

So my question is, will my soon to arrive Lamptron be able to control the fan speed for these delta's?
Delta FFB1212SH 120x25mm Super High Speed Fan

Second question, the FC5v2 has four channels. How would I daisy chain these fans? I know the FC5v2 has 30 watts per channel so I can daisy chain 2 delta's on one channel, 2 on the other channel and I was thinking of daisy chaining 3 Coolermaster Megaflows on a third channel. What would I use to be able to achieve this? Sorry, i'm not familiar with Fan Controllers at all. I appreciate any advice you guys have to offer. :)
Old November 27, 2010, 05:25 PM
Banned
F@H

yup. but from what i see in the pic the molex has negative and 5v hmmmm...

nvm, found the datasheet : FFB1212SH datasheet, Pinout ,application circuits DC Brushless Fans & Blowers
Old November 28, 2010, 07:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

So a fan controller can control these Delta's? Do you know anything daisy chaining them together?
Old November 28, 2010, 07:09 AM
Banned
F@H

yes. well these suck a lot of juice, so you have to watch out on how many you put together. usually i prefer to have no more than 2 of the heavier ones on one channel.
Old November 29, 2010, 06:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the help dangtx. Each Delta uses 12.4 watts max so two on one channel will be ok. Those Megaflows use about 4watts each so three on a channel will be nothing. Again, I appreciate your help :)

As for daisy chaining the fans, I will be getting 4 of these NZXT 3 pin Y splitters. NCIX.com - Buy NZXT Premium Sleeved Computer Cables 3PIN Fan 2 Male to 1 Female Y-SPLITTER Cable - CB-3P-Y In Canada.
Old November 30, 2010, 01:37 PM
Banned
F@H

no worries maite. cool so you'll keep under 30 watts per channel. those splitters are nice, but a bit costly. unless you find them on special.
Old December 1, 2010, 02:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
Thanks for the help dangtx. Each Delta uses 12.4 watts max so two on one channel will be ok. Those Megaflows use about 4watts each so three on a channel will be nothing. Again, I appreciate your help :)

As for daisy chaining the fans, I will be getting 4 of these NZXT 3 pin Y splitters. NCIX.com - Buy NZXT Premium Sleeved Computer Cables 3PIN Fan 2 Male to 1 Female Y-SPLITTER Cable - CB-3P-Y In Canada.
You have to watch start up current though, as some fans for a brief period can double their amperage. Most system can handle short bursts of overcurrent though; but with the razor thin error margins in chinese manufacturing I'd be careful.

A little OT, but some people actually build their own computer cases out of wood ...nothing like living dangerously.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
no worries maite. cool so you'll keep under 30 watts per channel. those splitters are nice, but a bit costly. unless you find them on special.
Yeah it will be about $32 for four of those y splitters, I found some cheaper ones but they are not as nice. Oh well, tis the season for spending money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Milch View Post
You have to watch start up current though, as some fans for a brief period can double their amperage. Most system can handle short bursts of overcurrent though; but with the razor thin error margins in chinese manufacturing I'd be careful.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye out on first boot with these fans.
Old December 14, 2010, 05:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Instead of getting those NZXT 3 Pin Y Splitters, I got Works instead as they were cheaper and are behind the motherboard tray so no one would see them anyways. But the thing is, no matter what I do I cannot control the RPM of these Delta's.

I tried:
- Connect each Delta to each channel (One delta per channel) using the 3 pin only
- Connect each Delta to each channel (One delta per channel) using the 3 pin and 4 pin molex

My 3 Megaflows off one channel is no problem however...
Old December 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
Banned
F@H

hmmmmmmmm

one wire is positive, the other negative. less juice on the positive gives...?