Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Silent AM3 cooler (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/38258-silent-am3-cooler.html)

Natamanchuk November 24, 2010 03:47 PM

Silent AM3 cooler

I recently upgraded my CPU with a AMD 965 cpu, it is working great. The only issue is that the stock fan sounds like a jet engine. I don't think i have ever head a fan so loud before.

I've asked around the local shops and finding a quiet alternative is relatively easy. My issue is i want to find a socket AM3 fan that uses the bracket already mounter on the board.

Are there any recommendations for a quiet / silent Socket AM3 fan that uses the standard bracket that work with the stock fan?

Nick

Soultribunal November 24, 2010 03:52 PM

Zalman CNPS9900 is one of my all time favorites for cooling and quiet on a CPU.

They are somewhat expensive but worth the investment.

That or get the new Zerotherm 90 thats out.

ST

jcmaz November 24, 2010 03:52 PM

Coolermaster 212+ or Sunbeam Core Contact if you can find one...

_dangtx_ November 24, 2010 04:07 PM

and get yourself a fan controller or use the motherboards utility to control the speeds. if you are not overclocking turning down the stock cooler will help tons

sswilson November 24, 2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 453632)
and get yourself a fan controller or use the motherboards utility to control the speeds. if you are not overclocking turning down the stock cooler will help tons

The stock AMD cooler barely keeps temps under recommended max when you let it run full out, I wouldn't recommend lowering the default.

martin_metal_88 November 24, 2010 04:41 PM

Arctic cooling freezer are good n cheap. Also small if size is a matter.

Soultribunal November 24, 2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 453638)
The stock AMD cooler barely keeps temps under recommended max when you let it run full out, I wouldn't recommend lowering the default.

I second that , Dan doesn't realize that its probably that loud because its running full tilt to keep things under control.
Going lower is a bad idea, getting something aftermarket is recommended.

ST

_dangtx_ November 24, 2010 04:46 PM

well, it depends on temps. i have a machine that goes over 80% if it reaches 50c.

drop everest in there and check your temps. you can drop vcore a notch and see if its stable with prime95 or the like. the stock cooler, for a number of years, is ok-ish. loud were the pentium preshotts with the cheaper non copper coler lower profile smaller fan they came with sometimes. those things were insane. depending on your revision, you can have your cpu running stock ghz with considerably less voltage, which does help.

sswilson November 24, 2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 453647)
well, it depends on temps. i have a machine that goes over 80% if it reaches 50c.

drop everest in there and check your temps. you can drop vcore a notch and see if its stable with prime95 or the like. the stock cooler, for a number of years, is ok-ish. loud were the pentium preshotts with the cheaper non copper coler lower profile smaller fan they came with sometimes. those things were insane. depending on your revision, you can have your cpu running stock ghz with considerably less voltage, which does help.

Considering that the max recommended temps on these chips is around 55c (much lower than intel chips) that's what I'd expect.

The AMD cooler in spite of looking pretty impressive just doesn't cut it.

LarkStarr November 24, 2010 06:56 PM

I don't think many people read, lol.

CAN you get a cooler that works with the stock cooler bracket?

either way I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ . Around $20, and the included fan is pretty quiet. also 18 C cooler.