Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2010, 08:03 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Prolimatech Super Mega CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

Many believe that many of the higher-end air-based CPU heatsinks have reached a pinnacle in terms of thermal efficiency. However, companies like Prolimatech seem to keep on improving their products and continue to push the limits of what their coolers can do. Prolimatech has how released a new take on their best-selling Megahalem dubbed the Super Mega. Can this high end product hang with some of the best this market has to offer?

[ Read full article ]
Old November 2, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review AkG! I always like the testing methodology used on this site (rather than other instances where colourful graphs are thrown around randomly without any explanation of where the numbers came from).

The only thing that troubles me with these 120mm fan based coolers (especially when you start adding copper) is whether the cooler will actually torque the motherboard if you are lugging the PC around (to LAN for example). I'd be more comfortable if there was an easy way to secure the cooler to the CASE somehow instead of just to the motherboard PCB, like this old HP I had where the cooler was screwed to the case's (rather beefy) motherboard tray, or the older Dell XPS 410 which did the same thing to a much lighter tower cooler.
(Yes I read about Scythe's solution but it still relies on your case having other unused clips or holes lying around)
Are my concerns justified at all?
Old November 2, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you sure this cooler wasn't pre-owned? It looks like there's some blotches on the heatsink base. Those couldn't possibly be there from the manufacturer! ...

I'm not sure this cooler is worth the $$$ especially if it comes with no stock fan.

Last edited by headsh0t; November 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old November 2, 2010, 10:40 PM
MVP
F@H

Nice one AkG. Wonder how it compares to the D14 though. Even then, the fact that it doesn't have fans (again) kinda kills the deal for me. Probably works great with my H101's though

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old November 2, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

just curious... is this really limitation of air cooler?

good thing that i decided watercooling... ;p
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old November 3, 2010, 12:19 AM
MVP

For that much money they should include AMD hardware.
Old November 3, 2010, 02:03 AM

My System Specs

Just an FYI at the bottom of page three it says "Next: Prolimatech Armageddon Installation"
Old November 3, 2010, 05:18 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Are you sure this cooler wasn't pre-owned? It looks like there's some blotches on the heatsink base. Those couldn't possibly be there from the manufacturer! ...

I'm not sure this cooler is worth the $$$ especially if it comes with no stock fan.
Yes it was new. The blotches seen, are remnants of the rubbing alcohol which had not fully evaporated before the shot was taken. If there had been any rust, pitting, true "blotches" or anything else for that matter we would not have considered it as a fair representative of Prolimatech's "New In Box" condition and thus would not have used it (and simply asked for another sample).

Doing otherwise would not have been fair as pitting (for example) would have reduced the surface contact area and thus reduced the efficiency of this samples cooling abilities below that of what you would most likely find with a new Promliamatech cooler. I strongly suggest that if you ever do find a cooler with an obviously damaged base "right out of the box" to return it for a full refund. Im sure no manufacturer would want you to have a sub-par experience with their product due to either a error in the QA department (which can happen) OR the seller selling you an obviously used cooler as "new".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 3, 2010, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
FWIW, I recently bought a BNIB Megahalems Rev. B. and it had finger prints on the base underneath the plastic sticker protector. It needed ArctiClean to get rid of it as it was kind of caked on. Ordered it from NCIX or one of its derivatives.

I'd love to see how the 70 lbs mounting pressure makes a difference on CPUs with quirks:
* Concave IHS
* CPUs that use TIM instead of solder for the core-IHS mating surface (I think maybe the low end Pentium G9650?)

The $10 premium doesn't really justify the ~1C difference IMO.
Old November 3, 2010, 07:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I still prefer the Mega Shadows. The Coolermaster GT is probably the best bang for your buck as it already includes fans.