Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Copper: 401 W/m-k
Silver: 429 W/m-k

I think it would be more than a fraction of a degree.
But until someone actually does it, we will never know.

ST
At the same time pure aluminum (I would imagine that is what they use in heatsinks) has a thermal conductivity of 237 W/mK. And full copper heatsinks don't reduce the temperature by all that much compared to aluminum ones (looking at reviews of the Thermalright TRUE Copper vs the 'vanilla' version).
Old November 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
At the same time pure aluminum (I would imagine that is what they use in heatsinks) has a thermal conductivity of 237 W/mK. And full copper heatsinks don't reduce the temperature by all that much compared to aluminum ones (looking at reviews of the Thermalright TRUE Copper vs the 'vanilla' version).

Oh don't get me wrong, that is true on the temp side of things. But unless you got the machine to do it we will never know the actual quality of the material they used.
I used to have access, not anymore though to be able to actually test those materials.

I am not saying you're wrong. What I am saying is, a) there are too many variables still to know for certain b) it would still be worth a try just to see.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 4, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

I agree until someone actually does it we won't know for sure, but I just don't think that the temperatures (energy) involved are high enough compared to ambient. Maybe with higher air flow the difference between the materials would be more pronounced. As it stands though I really don't think a full silver cooler would drop temps much over a fuller copper cooler.