Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2010, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review AkG.

I don't think this is worth the $10 at all. Yeah, it's DAM GOOD, but it's WORST DAM VALUE.

I think these companies have hit a wall. They're trying to justify a price increase by adding features that don't add significance to performance. Perhaps this is the best we can do with air technology?
Old November 3, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
Nice one AkG. Wonder how it compares to the D14 though.
I have the same thought.....
Old November 3, 2010, 08:20 PM
MVP

How many pounds of pressure can a CPU socket take?
Old November 3, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

So, one could say it's super mega cool? . seriously though they didn't even try with that name.

It really does seem like air coolers are hitting a bit of a wall, performance wise (short of using diamond or graphene instead of al/cu). Maybe more focus should be put into the fans.
Old November 4, 2010, 06:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
So, one could say it's super mega cool? . seriously though they didn't even try with that name.

It really does seem like air coolers are hitting a bit of a wall, performance wise (short of using diamond or graphene instead of al/cu). Maybe more focus should be put into the fans.

They could use Silver too, that might give them a few more degrees...

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 4, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

more like a fraction of a degree, which would likely be unmeasurable. Copper and Silver have very similar thermal conductivities, and copper isn't as dense. Though I guess it could be used as a marketing scheme, sounds like something apple would do, lol.
Old November 4, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review AKG, Proli show that they are still in the game while getting only few product out. Pretty sure Thermalright are unhappy about their old engi success ahah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Are you sure this cooler wasn't pre-owned? It looks like there's some blotches on the heatsink base. Those couldn't possibly be there from the manufacturer! ...

I'm not sure this cooler is worth the $$$ especially if it comes with no stock fan.
The original Megahalem was like 80$ when I get it and even without a fan it was worthyu since it was performing with low speed fan and acheive 4Ghz OC on a 860 from the first batch ( which are hard to OC ) Also, most of the cooler today come with crap fan so you still have to buy your own. Just buy some good fan that wou will use on all your various cooler for the next years and trash these stock fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
They could use Silver too, that might give them a few more degrees...

ST
Would make the cooler so damn expensive But the look and the weight would be awesome.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 4, 2010, 07:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Nice review AKG, Proli show that they are still in the game while getting only few product out. Pretty sure Thermalright are unhappy about their old engi success ahah.

The original Megahalem was like 80$ when I get it and even without a fan it was worthyu since it was performing with low speed fan and acheive 4Ghz OC on a 860 from the first batch ( which are hard to OC ) Also, most of the cooler today come with crap fan so you still have to buy your own. Just buy some good fan that wou will use on all your various cooler for the next years and trash these stock fan

Would make the cooler so damn expensive But the look and the weight would be awesome.
Right now yeah, but a while back Silver was inexpensive. I would love to see a Tower Air cooler made out of Silver.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old November 4, 2010, 08:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
more like a fraction of a degree, which would likely be unmeasurable. Copper and Silver have very similar thermal conductivities, and copper isn't as dense. Though I guess it could be used as a marketing scheme, sounds like something apple would do, lol.
Copper: 401 W/m-k
Silver: 429 W/m-k

I think it would be more than a fraction of a degree.
But until someone actually does it, we will never know.

ST

Old November 4, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Right now yeah, but a while back Silver was inexpensive. I would love to see a Tower Air cooler made out of Silver.

ST
It would for sure would look more than awesome and fit with any color

Quote:
Copper: 401 W/m-k
Silver: 429 W/m-k

I think it would be more than a fraction of a degree.
But until someone actually does it, we will never know.

ST

AkG could e-mail proli and ask for a silver versionMaybe they would do it.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||