Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Bit of a problem since rebuild (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/36954-bit-problem-since-rebuild.html)

ToXic October 10, 2010 09:51 AM

Bit of a problem since rebuild
 
So before rebuild i had my i7 stable at 3.2 doing about ~33 idle temp, but since i swapped to a Rampage 3 Extreme im idling around 46-50 and loading at around 80, i know this isnt good for my chip in the long run.

The only major OC changes iv made was switching from manual overclock to just using ASUS replication of a i7 965. The major difference im seing as when i clocked i didnt push 1.3v, i was still at ~1.1v, but i dont have my old settings by memory, nor know how they will react with my asus board.

JD October 10, 2010 10:10 AM

All I can suggest is to not use those auto OC settings. They're always bad news IMO.

Every chip is different, and using a "standard" setup just doesn't work.

Put some time aside and do it properly. Slowly bump up the BCLK and voltages as needed. It's the least you can do after spending $400 on a motherboard...

ToXic October 10, 2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 437451)
All I can suggest is to not use those auto OC settings. They're always bad news IMO.

Every chip is different, and using a "standard" setup just doesn't work.

Put some time aside and do it properly. Slowly bump up the BCLK and voltages as needed. It's the least you can do after spending $400 on a motherboard...

Very true, thanks.

I just wanted to try the auto because im always nervous tinkering with my core, cause it would be hard to find a D0 again...

JD October 10, 2010 11:10 AM

AFAIK everything is D0 now.

And really, Auto is typically worse than manually setting things since Auto puts it way higher than necessary. As you've witnessed.

I'm curious though, why'd you switch your board when you only want to run 3.2GHz? Usually when people buy the ROG boards, they are looking for extreme clocks...

chrisk October 10, 2010 11:25 AM

Yup the auto overclock will often jack up the volts higher than needed.

Nice board though; any reason why you got the Extreme over the Formula? I like the Intel Nic on the formula, as well as the X-Fi codec (even though its still a Realtek codec under the hood).

ToXic October 10, 2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 437457)
AFAIK everything is D0 now.

And really, Auto is typically worse than manually setting things since Auto puts it way higher than necessary. As you've witnessed.

I'm curious though, why'd you switch your board when you only want to run 3.2GHz? Usually when people buy the ROG boards, they are looking for extreme clocks...

I just wanted to try the auto, I planning to far exeed that soon, also the dual x16 rails make me happy compared to my old tri sli le.

Gonna see what I can do bout pushing 4+, but I also have the issue of crossbread ram right now (1333 and 1600 ocz plat)

martin_metal_88 October 10, 2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToXic (Post 437446)
So before rebuild i had my i7 stable at 3.2 doing about ~33 idle temp, but since i swapped to a Rampage 3 Extreme im idling around 46-50 and loading at around 80, i know this isnt good for my chip in the long run.

.

These temp are fine for the long run. A cpu can handle much more than this without issue.
To get back to your old temp, just drop all auto setting and play with Voltage by yourself to get it stable. Auto always suck.

ToXic October 10, 2010 09:46 PM

Kept autoclock on, droped voltage to 1.1V, running stable... Tomorrow gonna take a crack at a much higher clock.

My bastardized ram is working in harmony aswell.

Peek temp with this sofar is 64C under max load.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 AM.