Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Air in or out?

I bought two 120mm fans for my Alienware system. It has a spot on top of the case that allows extra fans to be installed. I had my buddy Killswitch come over and he suggested installing them to allow air intake rather than exhaust. The case design would lead anyone to think these fans should exhaust. However, having the fans reversed lowered my Proc temps by 10 to 15c when playing games.The radiator fan for the liquid cooling is still set up to exhahst air, but Killswitch will come over again and flip that one over as well. It appears the more cool air in is better than fans blowing out.At least on Alienware Area 51 designed cases.Just thought I would mention this for Alienware owners. I know there are a few here. Take care all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 23, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

it's called positive air pressure. you want more airflow going in then you have going out.
Old September 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

YouTube - Fortress FT01 PC case with positive air pressure part 2
YouTube - Sugo SG03 SFF case positive air pressure demonstration
yup always
Old September 23, 2010, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
The radiator fan for the liquid cooling is still set up to exhahst air, but Killswitch will come over again and flip that one over as well.
Lemmy get this right. your going to flip the fan on the Rad? nonononono bad bad idea. Your not wrong in wanting alot of "cool" air in the pc, but the purpose of the RAD is to HEAT the air, The fan on that rad is in exhaust position because you want to get RID OF the hot air, not put it back INTO the case.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 24, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks all. Very informative. I'll talk to Killswitch and maybe we will re-think this.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 25, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
Lemmy get this right. your going to flip the fan on the Rad? nonononono bad bad idea. Your not wrong in wanting alot of "cool" air in the pc, but the purpose of the RAD is to HEAT the air, The fan on that rad is in exhaust position because you want to get RID OF the hot air, not put it back INTO the case.
Am I reading you correctly? The Rad circulates water that is cooled by outside air being drawn IN through the rad .As my rig is configured now,the air is being exhausted from inside the comp. case and out through the radiator. There is no cool air going into the Rad as the air going through it comes from inside the case. I don't know if I'm explaining this right but I think you grt the picture.Also, why would you have a Radiator to Heat the air? Am I not understanding any of this? Thanks.
Old September 25, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The rad is cooled by the air inside the case, which is blown by the exhaust fan through the rad and out the back of the computer.

the cpu gets hot, the waterblock absorbs the heat, the water flows through the waterblock absorbing the heat from it. the heat travels through the pipes into the radiator, the radiator has very very thin fins with water tubes in between, these fins absorb the heat from the water. the exhaust fan blows air through the radiator across the fins absorbing the heat and then flows away from the computer, completing the heat dissipation cycle.

Using cooler air is more efficient than warmer air, but it is all relative. The air from inside your case isnt sufficiently warm enough to cause enough of a detrimental effect to the efficiency of the radiator.

For example. when you use air that is at room temperature to cool the radiator your cooling system might be at 50C, when you use warmer air from inside your case, the water temperature may rise a couple of degrees to say... 52C. That is not to say that your CPU is going to benifit much from the 2C cooler water, as in reality your cpu, unless you are EXTREME overclocking will likely remain at whatever temperature it was running at in either instance.

The reason that your computer is setup the way it is, using warmer case exhaust air, Is more of design efficiency than cooling system efficiency. If they were to design your system to use cooler ambient air, they would have to mount the radiator away from the case, making the case bulky and harder to handle and much more expensive.

As it is, the design is efficient. the case needs to exhaust air anyway, and has a fan blowing out. Mounting the rad in front of the blowing air utilizes air from a fan that already has to exist, allowing the radiator to mount flush with the case and reducing the amount of materials needed to build the system and keeping the computer looking sleek and professional.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old September 26, 2010, 07:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

That point aside you still want at least one exhaust fan or somewhere for the warm air to vent.
Old September 26, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a 92m exhaust fan at the rear of the computer. That leaves it with two top mounted 120mm intake fans,the 120mm exhaust Rad fan, also mounted on top of the case, the PCI front air intake fan and of course the exhaust fans on the Nvidia cards. Sound about right?
Old September 27, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yep, i'd leave it just like that

vista 64 on these rigs