Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

exhaust fans are nice but not needed at all it's basic thermal dynamics positive pressure will easily push hot air that is rising out anyway. just my 2 cents
Old September 27, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

well having an exhaust fan that's strategically placed to help the airflow in a particular direction isn't always a useless thing. Most cases have fans (or fan slots) on every side of the system, they can't all be drawing air in :P I personally have the large exhaust fan on my 922 still exhausting, all the other fans are intakes, bottom to top directional airflow :D
Old September 27, 2010, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
exhaust fans are nice but not needed at all it's basic thermal dynamics positive pressure will easily push hot air that is rising out anyway. just my 2 cents
The goal of any good system builder is to be able to control the airflow through the case. i say "through" because you want to move it ALL in and ALL out quickly. Positive air pressure as your talking is generally a bad idea for anything but a basic low power computer.

The reason i say its a bad idea is because most computer fans are not designed to be high pressure fans, because they are not designed to be used this way, the actuall "pressure" in the case is not really that high.

Sure you will get positive pressure, and you will loose the hot air like you want to, but the volume of air going through the case will be alot smaller than if you were to present the fans in the conventional way.

Another issue you'll have is that you cannot control where the air is exhausted, most computer cases have vent holes, so typically you'll loose the air in those locations but unless the case is designed for that in mind, those locations will likely not be ideal.

Another issue you'll have is that you'll create alot of "dead air" pockets. What this means is that you'll have areas inside your computer case where air will not flow at all, these areas absorb heat and cause hotspots. Almost all cases, even properly designed will have dead air pockets, but with proper airflow you can eliminate the ones that will cause the biggest issues.

When your doing a computer build it is important to put it together in such a way that you can get a very large volume of air in, through with as few obstacle as possible, and out. The longer the air is in the case, the hotter it becomes, and the hotter everything else gets.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old October 3, 2010, 06:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I my CM 690II case I have a 120MM intake at the front and 80MM intake on the side. On top I have 2-120MM pushing air out as well as the 80mm on the back of the case pushing out. Is this setup okay or should the top fans be pushing air in?
Old October 4, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Positive Pressure vs Negative Pressure is an ongoing debate as to efficiency (Google it).......thier is no right and wrong, right is the set-up (could be positive or negative) that most effectively controls Temps within your own Rig......experiment with it, it doesn't take any effort at all to switch a fan from intake to outtake....I've experimented with my set-up extensively and have found the most effective Air Cooling for my Rig, including CPU and GPU's is Negative Pressure.....just have to clean everything more frequently ;)

Temjin TJ09
Case Fans
Intake 1 x 120mm
Intake 1 x 140mm
Exhaust 3 x 120mm

CPU - 2 x 120mm Push / Pull
NB - 1 x 40mm