Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2010, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default GELID Silent 12 1000RPM 120MM Quiet Fan

Does anybody know if these can be undervolted? I need to know if they'll work if plugged into a fan controller, like the one that came with my nzxt lexa s case. These Gelid fans are not the TC, nor the PWM, they're just the 1000rpm @ 12v ones.

Thanks.
Old September 2, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It'll work.

I have the Lexa S and the Gelid Silent 12, just plugged it into the fan controller and the fan itself undervolts perfectly well. The fan controller itself buzzes though, not sure if it's a defect or not I never bothered trying to use it. NZXT quality has always disappointed me, even though I keep buying their cases like a bad addiction.
Old September 2, 2010, 07:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

awesomeness. Thanks ilya. my fan controller doesn't buzz, you should RMA it!!!

By the way, do these Gelid fans make any buzzing and/or clicking and/or whining noises when it's undervolted? My guess is it shouldn't, since it's liquid dynamic bearing. Thanks.

Last edited by cul8erppl; September 2, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fan itself doesn't buzz in my case, it's just the controller.
But with some afterthought, I honestly don't think you'll need to undervolt those fans. They're fairly quiet, I'm a bit of a noise freak myself and they don't bother me. Or maybe its just Fermi-Syndrome kicking in.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

LoL, i'm a major noise freak...i like to sleep with the computer on sometimes...it's difficult to sleep beside a turbine...
Old September 4, 2010, 08:07 AM
Banned

I'm wondering about these fans, too. I was going to order, maybe two, but I thought I'd inquire here first. They were out of stock before but now they're available and I can price match as well.

They're a decent deal, under $5 (I think) but I wonder how they compare to Nexus and Yate Loon case fans which were my other choices (when the Gelids were out of stock). I am not sure if they can be undervolted but I want a good combo of low noise and cfm or high cooling.

Case is Antec 300, other fans include a Yate Loon and a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F but I was going to use that one for the cpu/ Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 heatsink combo.

I hope I didn't crap too much on the thread... I'm asking about the Gelid fans so I thought ask here rather than a new thread of the same fan or bumping an old thread of mine... ????

The undervolting is interesting, too. I read about the Gelid fans in reviews on ncix and newegg.... I still couldn't get a comfortable feedback opinion on them. Reviews seem mixed but for the price, maybe they're fine factoring that in? I'm like the OP in wanting quiet and not liking any type of noise but at the same time, the case is an Antec 300 so I will need good cooling (might need it for the future video card).
Old September 4, 2010, 08:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i installed this Gelid fan last nite onto my lexa s case's fan controller...it works with the fan controller, with no problem and no buzzing and no clicking and no whining...it's very quiet and pushes quiet a bit of air, when at low rpm and at max rpm, awesomeness for $3.36 a piece...
Old September 4, 2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8erppl View Post
i installed this Gelid fan last nite onto my lexa s case's fan controller...it works with the fan controller, with no problem and no buzzing and no clicking and no whining...it's very quiet and pushes quiet a bit of air, when at low rpm and at max rpm, awesomeness for $3.36 a piece...
That's what I was hoping! Thanks for your report, cul8erppl! I might look into a fan controller eventually, too. But, it sounds like they're quiet enough even at full speed. They might not be a Nexus or Noctua but at that price, it's a good deal.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

They're pretty much silent at 12V IMO unless you have very restrictive case openings. Theoretically they should last longer than Yates as well as they don't use sleeve bearings.

Though if you want a better fan, consider the Gentle Typhoons at 1450RPM or lower. They're expensive, but amazingly quiet with decent pressure/airflow.
Old September 4, 2010, 06:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a love for Gelids now, LoL. I'm sitting right beside it at low rpm, where it's on the side-window panel, and i don't hear it at all. I may end-up getting more for my other machines.