Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

I wonder how the other coolers would do using one (or two) of those cooler master fans. Obviously you can't buy these fans separately (as far as I can tell at least), but at least it would give an idea of how much the extra 300 rpm has on performance.

Also, are the extra plastic bits used for anything other than 'aesthetics'?
Old August 31, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it! I also appreciate the ideas on how to make the reviews even better. I will go through the list of possibilities and see if any are viable options later. No guarantees as I like the format as it is right now. High, med, low. With only "apples to apples" comparisons. BUT please keep the ideas rolling in.

The plastic top is also a built in cowling to keep air from going UP and over the fin array rather then through it. The side plastic pieces are what keep the fans in place. Makes swapping out a fan VERY easy. So while yes there is a LOT of plastic its there for a good reason.

These are the new S4 fans from CM and you can consider them a "FDB upgrade" to the R4's that are available darn near everywhere. I would not be surprised if in the near future you can buy these beasts separately but have no idea one way or the other. IF they do become available it will very nice as the bearing was the ONLY "less than" part of the S4 fans! With that being said I doubt you will be able to pick these up as cheaply as the R4s go for ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 31, 2010, 09:05 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
These are the new S4 fans from CM and you can consider them a "FDB upgrade" to the R4's that are available darn near everywhere.
I wouldn't say that. The blade design is completely different from the R4s. Fewer blades and a very different shape.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Crap I was thinking of the BladeMaster line not the R4 line. Good catch zero. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 31, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow that's a little monster at a good price. Can we run the cooler without all the plastic on the top?? If yes, I want 2!!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 31, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Cases and Cooling

Impressive results! Great review guys! It really does hang in with the best of them. Mind you, for a few $ more you can get the Prolimatech. Perhaps a $5 price drop would make it that much more desirable. I've been using the Ultra Chilltec for some time now with good results. Perhaps it's time to look at getting a new cooler.

Thanks again for the great review guys and have one on me. hehe
Old August 31, 2010, 01:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I tried to mount the V6 GT with my EVGA Classified and the Northbridge Heatsink will be in the way. Just a warning with those that have a EVGA board.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
Impressive results! Great review guys! It really does hang in with the best of them. Mind you, for a few $ more you can get the Prolimatech.
Keep in mind this also comes with a pair of very good fans whereas the Megahalems doesn't include anything other than the heatsink.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
I tried to mount the V6 GT with my EVGA Classified and the Northbridge Heatsink will be in the way. Just a warning with those that have a EVGA board.
This is a reason why i hate high end EVGA board, always a pain in the ass working with high end big cooler and the NB cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Keep in mind this also comes with a pair of very good fans whereas the Megahalems doesn't include anything other than the heatsink.
Don't forget that the proli come with a huge tube of good paste and a blue box

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 31, 2010, 06:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
This is a reason why i hate high end EVGA board, always a pain in the ass working with high end big cooler and the NB cooler.
My Mega Shadows work just fine with my EVGA board. All Air coolers except for the Cooler Master V6 GT...