Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Imperfect Megahalems Base

So its come to my attention that a BNIB Meghalems I sold has an imperfect base that basically looks like a bit of discoloration/cosmetic defect on the bottom. Has anybody seen this before and would it ever affect cooling performance compared to a 'perfect' base? Also, when the plastic film was removed, the discoloration affected the entire base but upon mounting it and using it for a while, the discoloration was removed in the middle. Could this be just a residue from the plastic film that was applied to protect the base? I dont have an image of it beforehand but this is what the base looks like after mounting it

Old August 27, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Was it cooling properly? What kind of paste was used? A quick scuff with a 2000 git sandpaper should quickly remove any residues.
Old August 27, 2010, 04:06 PM
Banned
F@H

maybe they tried it beforehand? paste,when removed, can leave like a black sooth residue(use a q-tip and youll see)
Old August 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I dunno about this situation but a bit of ketchup rubbed on, left for a min then wiped off can work wonders on some other types of metals.
*shrug*
Old August 27, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That looks just like mine and it works fine. I'm pretty sure they're all supposed to be like this.
Old August 27, 2010, 04:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If cleaned properly, there will be no effect on performance. All I see there is a bit of residue from glue or thermal paste, and a tiny spot where the nickel plating is missing. Considering the fact that the only important point of contact in the base is the center area anyway, none of that makes any difference whatsoever.
Old August 27, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't remember when I did my first mount. However, it it's JUST discolouration, there should be no negative effects. If it's actually residue, then it sould come off and then be fine.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 27, 2010, 04:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The pictures don't really speak the little brown dots on the base of it. It's not residue, I don't see why I would take a picture of it without thoroughly cleaning it with arcticlean 1/2 first.

Let's put it this way, if you received a megahalems that was new and unused and it came with a discoloured dirty base with small brown spots, would you be happy with it? I paid for a perfect new megahalems and I didn't receive it. If all megahalems were like this or if it were 'normal', there would probably be more complaints than just myself.

Quote:
Lapping Warning!
Prolimatech does not condone any type of lapping done to the CPU or to heatsink base. Every Prolimatech's heatsink base is designed on a pin-point scale of how the base is to be flat and/or curved where it's needed to be. We have programed our machines to machine the surface in a very calculated way. Any after-manufacture lapping or modding done to the base will alter the design, hence negating its performance factor as well as its warranty.

Last edited by 0o0; August 27, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old August 27, 2010, 05:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Let's put it this way, if you received a megahalems that was new and unused and it came with a discoloured dirty base with small brown spots, would you be happy with it?
Yes. I don't care if there are a few "brown spots" if they don't affect performance. It's not like you spend a lot of time looking at the base after you install the cooler. If it's performing adequately and is not functionally defective then you have no real complaint. And if you are truly unhappy, then your concern should be with the manufacturer and not the seller (who has no responsibility for any issues since it was sold as a new in box item).
Old August 27, 2010, 05:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

He got it from the states. If he got it from ncix, I'd be more than happy to rma it myself, it would be no problem.
Closed Thread