Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing is ever or will ever be perfect.

Still though, a "perfect" base is one that is the proper shape with the proper texture. You cooler has as close to that as any other of the same line.
Old August 27, 2010, 07:06 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Nothing is ever or will ever be perfect.
... ok, then let me reword that. I expected a clean base without any junk or brown dots on it.
Old August 27, 2010, 07:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I just think that no one should expect this from a NEW heatsink that they paid new price for.
You didn't pay what it would cost to get a new heatsink. You bought it for $55, and the retail price at NCIX is currently $60 plus shipping and tax, which would run you about $80 all in.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can you get some better pics of the base? I can't see the brown dots, it's too reflective. I can see some minor chips in it but nothing unusually or that would affect cooling. The cloudiness on the edges just seems like it's there because in the middle of the bass it looks like you've mounted this to your MB already and the heat has made it all nice and shiny which is why it's so reflective. Now, if it came like that then it was clearly used. But if you can get a better picture of the brown dots you say are there would be nice to see.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You didn't pay what it would cost to get a new heatsink. You bought it for $55, and the retail price at NCIX is currently $60 plus shipping and tax, which would run you about $80 all in.
Yes I did. I paid $55 for a brand-new-in-box product, take note the part where it says 'new'.

I tried my best to get a clear shot at the dots but I don't think they're gonna show up with my sx10is unless someone wants to give me a lesson on lighting and apertures and stuff (not portal).
Old August 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Yes I did. I paid $55 for a brand-new-in-box product, take note the part where it says 'new'.
You paid less than the heatsink would have cost you at retail, and therefore you got a "new" product for less than the "new" price.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:50 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

No I didn't, it was advertised new at $55. I think you have "retail" and "new" confused with each other
Old August 28, 2010, 05:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

OK, maybe it is just me and the places I buy and sell's definition of "New", but if I purchase over the Internet a product advertised as BNIB I expect this:
"Guaranteed to be Complete, unused and in the same condition as it was when it left the factory."
or at the very least
"Must never have been used and is in 100% condition but original booklets may be missing ".

These are the two usual definitions professionals use when advertising as "NEW" and it all boils down to: it HAS to be in 100% condition. Doesn't matter if you used it or not. The buyer expects it to be PERFECT.

Sorry but surface imperfections make it less then 100% in my book. Will it inpact on performance? Nope. But that is not what matters. The product was sold as not "Like New Condition" (either used gently or never used but has minor storage related issues, usually 95%+ condition) it was sold as New. It is on the onus of the seller to make sure the product is in said condition if that is how s/he advertised it. In other words I would be annoyed too. My first guess was it was used but it simply could be a case of the factory QA dept testing it and not cleaning it properly before slapping the shipping label on it and it happened as it was stuck in the warehouse. Was their any malice on the sellers behalf? Doubtful, but when the buyer discovered this obviously not 100% condition it is up to the seller to make it right. As for the price, the seller felt it was worth $55 in BNIB condition. That is how much it is worth to him. Since it is not in New condition, but rather "Like New" condition I think the seller needs to come to some accommodation with the buyer. Either return for full refund (shipping at buyers expense of course) or a minor discount. Usually "Like New" condition is a couple % cheaper. If the buyer is unwilling to make such arrangements (personally Id offer either a full refund or $5 bucks off) then use the system that is in place and submit a poor iTrader rating.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Wall-o'-Text
Sure, you can say that. But how does the seller guarantee that the product is spotless and perfect if the box was never opened? That's the issue here, Crossfire had no way of seeing the base before it went out if he wanted to keep the BNIB status. Especially since there was a sticker on the base that he would have needed to remove.
I can understand if it wasn't a BNIB, unopened item. But buying something never opened from somebody poses the same risk as buying something unopened from retail, minus a nice comfy warranty. If it's absolutely imperative that a person gets something perfect, then stick to retail where you can get an exchange or refund. I personally think Crossfire has zero problems right now regarding this as everything regarding the condition of the cooler (Other than it being BNIB) is out of his hands.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 28, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

We are not talking about a cellophane wrapped item here. BNIB coolers can still be taken out of the box and checked and still sold as BNIB. I cant imagine selling something without checking it out first! Murphy's Law is always in effect. This is a case of it biting the seller on the butt. Sure you CAN sell anything without even looking but when it goes south....its YOUR reputation on the line. Saying blame Prolimatech not the seller is nonsense. If you get a bad car you dont go back to the mfg'er you go back to the seller. If you buy a new CPU from Newegg and its a USED CPU, you blame NEWEGG and not just Intel. Thats how it works in the real world.

Hell imagine if there was nothing but a rock in there (and yes this has happened on occasion, rember the ipod BS that was traced back to a rogue employee). Same goes for checking the base, the sticker can be reapplied. Yanking off a sticker and checking the base takes two seconds. Checking it out doesnt magically reduce the status from 100%. Hell its a fricking see-through sticker. Take a look and reassure yourself its good before reselling items is just plain good business sense (ncix does this with some items like mobos before they ship it). This aint rocket science. IF after all that it still goes south and the buyer can prove it didnt meet NEW status...make it right. Its your REPUTATION on the line. I honestly cant believe peeps are having such a hard time with something as simple as A) "CYA" before selling anything B) do your best to make things right as your rep is more important then five bucks.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Closed Thread