Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Thermalright passive heatsink [Hard OCP] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/35610-thermalright-passive-heatsink-hard-ocp.html)

gingerbee August 26, 2010 09:42 PM

Thermalright passive heatsink [Hard OCP]

Thermalright HR-02 Passive Processor Heatsink Review

Introduction - Thermalright HR-02 Passive Processor Heatsink Review | [H]ard|OCP

I am thinking I may consider an overclocked G6950 htpc :thumb:

edit I ws reading anandtech when posting :doh:

Zero82z August 26, 2010 10:10 PM

That's definitely not Anandtech.

CTA August 26, 2010 10:20 PM

yeah its [h]ard OCP...

and i think reviewer is on the crack...
Testing Results - Thermalright HR-02 Passive Processor Heatsink Review | [H]ard|OCP

come on... why silver award? unless i miss something important... :\

Zero82z August 26, 2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 420801)
Testing Results - Thermalright HR-02 Passive Processor Heatsink Review | [H]ard|OCP

It's a passive heatsink. What do you expect it to do; cool the CPU to sub-zero temperatures while shooting out rainbows and candy? Considering the purpose it is meant for, it did a very good job.

Sushi Warrior August 26, 2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 420801)
yeah its [h]ard OCP...

I think you did. This is pretty much the best passive CPU cooler out there. People will pay a premium for that. If you don't understand, try visiting silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers as it is a great example of how many silent PC enthusiasts there are! :thumb:

CTA August 26, 2010 10:40 PM

do you define passive cpu cooler without fan(s) and its prefect cooler for htpc only?

Zero82z August 26, 2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTA (Post 420811)
do you define passive cpu cooler without fan(s) and its prefect cooler for htpc only?

Yes, a passive cooler is one that does not use any fans, and it's a good cooler for any silence-oriented PC, whether that be an HTPC or any other type of machine.

CTA August 26, 2010 10:52 PM

ah i understood now...

ok if you said its best cpu cooler then i will go ahead to have to agree with you guys...

i prefer to use it cpu cooler with fans (or water cooling if i know how to set up... soon i will) ;]

again... can you really use that cpu cooler on the htpc at summer? no overheat...?

Sushi Warrior August 26, 2010 10:56 PM

Given the temperatures it produced, I would not be worried about overheating at all given the temps in the review. Notice how it is MUCH better than the stock cooler. Make sure it has an exhaust fan behind it though as the design depends on it.

It's a good silent cooler but not a good HTPC cooler as it is too big (not many SFF cases will fit 120mm tower coolers).

gingerbee August 27, 2010 06:27 AM

ya i use standers cases for my htpc, hence why i was looking at this and if you don't get how well it handles heat load with no fan read it again. it works great i think for how much heat these chips throw out. and of course water is better but this is not about epeen it's about silent pc's :thumb: