Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   P5Q, Antec 300, Thermalright Ultra-120 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/35200-p5q-antec-300-thermalright-ultra-120-a.html)

technix August 13, 2010 07:27 PM

P5Q, Antec 300, Thermalright Ultra-120

Can anyone help me with this? Advise???

I'll be putting all these together soon. I don't know what 120mm fan to use. I was thinking of getting a Noctua but I do have a S-Flex fan handy. This isn't built yet. I'm using the Q6600 from my current computer (being loaned at the moment). I think the wire clips are a pain so I was wondering if I should use a Thermalright fan holder. Do *all* 120mm fans fit in those?

I hope someone who owns all of these or at least the mobo and the heatsink can comment. Or if you just know! :)

Also, it seems that users who just have the black fan holder only use one fan while I notice a lot of the setups with the wire clips are using two fans. Does it matter? Some users claim about two degrees difference when using two fans but I guess that's not significant, huh?

I went by the pics in these links:
T.R.U.E 120 .... any users running 2 x 120mm as "Push & Pull" Fans ... ? - Overclockers Australia Forums

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-775 RT | Maximum PC

i7 950 stock running hot !!! help plz - techPowerUp! Forums

My current fans are Yate Loon 120mm, Scythe S-Flex-F 120mm and a SilenX 120mm (who cares, right? lol). The Antec 300 has some Tri-Cool fans and I read they're loud so maybe I'll replace them later. With the cooler orientation in a P5Q mobo (no Pro, SE, just basic model), I'm wondering how to set this up. I'm ordering a few components so I was wondering if I should get anything to add to the set up (extra clips for 2nd fan or fan holder).

Edit: I wasn't sure where to post this... 'new builds' or 'case mods' or what. I invite to move the post to wherever it's most relevant. My apologizes if it belongs somewhere else. Thanks.

technix September 8, 2010 01:18 PM

No replies and a bunch of views?!? I guess I asked the wrong things or it's a boring thread?!? OOPS!

Can anyone tell me if this is the East/West cpu heatsink position for this mobo?

http://n7.slayernine.com/files/P5Q-D...s/IMG_2657.JPG

Zero82z September 8, 2010 03:43 PM

The fan holders only fit 25mm thick fans. The good news is that most 120mm fans are 25mm thick, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I think you should just use the wire clips. They really are not that difficult to work with.

The version of the TRUE that comes with the black fan holder only includes one, whereas the version with the wire clips includes two sets. If you want to mount two fans with fan holders, then you need to buy one separately. That's why most people with that version of the heatsink only use one fan.

That is the east/west orientation.

technix September 8, 2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 426360)
The fan holders only fit 25mm thick fans. The good news is that most 120mm fans are 25mm thick, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I think you should just use the wire clips. They really are not that difficult to work with.

The version of the TRUE that comes with the black fan holder only includes one, whereas the version with the wire clips includes two sets. If you want to mount two fans with fan holders, then you need to buy one separately. That's why most people with that version of the heatsink only use one fan.

That is the east/west orientation.

Thanks, Zero!! :thumb: 'Glad to get a reply on this. That's news I wasn't aware of.

I found the clips to be a pain. I guess I was doing something wrong. But, I did look at a few images in which the clips were used. Also, if you drop them and they disappear, that could be a problem. :) The fan holder seemed to eliminate potential issues or hassles. But, not sure if I want to spend $12 on one of them or double that for two.

Have you heard of anything about modifying the backplate?

Thanks again for the reply. I hope to have this set up real soon.

Zero82z September 8, 2010 08:38 PM

I don't know anything about modifying the backplate. I don't see why you would need to unless there's some interference.