Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Prolimatech Samuel 17 CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/35155-prolimatech-samuel-17-cpu-cooler-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL August 12, 2010 09:32 PM

Prolimatech Samuel 17 CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

CPU coolers specifically designed for small form factor applications are few and far between but Prolimatech has now thrown their hats into this ring with the new Samuel 17. Able to mount a 120mm fan, this low-slung cooler is looking to bring some high performance to HTPC and SFF users....

[ Read full article ]

martin_metal_88 August 12, 2010 10:11 PM

Pretty nice review AkG, I was actually looking to buy one for my futur HTPC. I think you put a big stop on my go XD. But well I do have 2 question for you. If it's a HTPC cooler, wouldn't it be better to test it on a horizontal system ( unless I missread ) because like 80% of real HTPC in small case are horizontal and not vertical??
Second question is open to everyone. Which is then the best small cooler to OC a I3 or I5 in a HTPC. The case will be a Silverstone Lascala LC17B.
Awesome review like always my friend!

_dangtx_ August 12, 2010 10:31 PM

man, that looks good. so the best low profile is this guy right now? killer!

Sushi Warrior August 12, 2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 415026)
man, that looks good. so the best low profile is this guy right now? killer!

Hard to tell from the lack of comparison in regards to other low profile coolers, but I would go with no.

Lets be honest here, I just read the review and felt I found out nothing about it because the closest comparison is the stock intel cooler and that has a loud fan. Where are all the other low profile/small coolers?

_dangtx_ August 12, 2010 11:32 PM

err,looks good presentation wise not temps wise.

not a lot of mass/s.a.=of course you need some serious cfms, which might make it noisier, which might not make it perfect for a quiet solution :)

Sushi Warrior August 12, 2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 415053)
err,looks good presentation wise not temps wise.

not a lot of mass/s.a.=of course you need some serious cfms, which might make it noisier, which might not make it perfect for a quiet solution :)

Uh, no. Less mass/Surface area = less resistance for low RPM fans = good at low RPM comparatively to high RPMs. It is better, compared to itself, at low end when compared to high end I would think (less temp drop/RPM than the average cooler).

SKYMTL August 13, 2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior (Post 415047)
Hard to tell from the lack of comparison in regards to other low profile coolers, but I would go with no.

Lets be honest here, I just read the review and felt I found out nothing about it because the closest comparison is the stock intel cooler and that has a loud fan. Where are all the other low profile/small coolers?

Please define "all the others".

Also, we have to start somewhere so there will always be one product that may not "fit" until we have others to compare it to.

Varroa August 13, 2010 06:55 AM

It would be interesting to see how it compares to something like this (Scythe Shuriken 3) which I already use in my SFF HTPC:

NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Shuriken 3 Heatpipe Low Profile CPU Heatsink LGA1366 1156 775 AM2+ AM3 939 940 W/100MM Fan - SCSK-1100 In Canada.

Sushi Warrior August 13, 2010 08:16 AM

You could compare it to 92mm tower coolers and pretty much anything other than 120mm towers. Anything at all smaller than a 120mm tower I guess ;)

AkG August 13, 2010 08:49 AM

We would love to test it against others. But there has to be a FIRST. This is it. If other manufacturers chose to send us more HTPC orientated coolers expect to see them compared against the Sam 17. Prolimatech with its choice of name makes this cooler out to be a giant killer, so NOT including our regular coolers would have been giving Prolimatech's marketing department a free pass on this issue. That would be doing a disservice to you our readers. Comparing it to 92mm coolers is also not fair as this IS a 120mm cooler.

I use a horizontal mounting orientation for all CPU cooling solutions as that is a worse case scenario and allows an apples to apples comparison.