Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2010, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Question Cooler Orientation

Okay, bear with me here, I'm new at this, so I haven't got all the terminology nailed down quite yet. I'm not sure if "orientation" where a CPU cooler is concerned refers to the direction of the airflow or the orientation of the heatpipes, so in terms of this post, when I say "East/West orientation," I mean having the CPU cooler in question facing such that the airflow blows out the back of one's case, and "North/South" means positioning it so that the airflow blows upward, out the top of the case. (If that's the wrong way to use said terms, please correct me!)

Given that heatpipes work by having a working fluid flowing between the processor and the cooling array of a tower-type cooler, would mounting, say, a Megahalems in an east/west orientation reduce the efficiency of the lower set of heatpipes? After all, the fluid inside would be heated by the CPU and then have to travel down to get to the fin array, as opposed to up, and then when it cooled, would have to flow up to get back to the base of the cooler in order to wick away more heat. Does that mean that mounting such a tower-type cooler in a north/south manner would make it easier on the heatpipes (putting aside, for a moment, the question of the source of the cooler's air, since mounting it in a north/south manner would draw air from the graphics card area)?

Just curious, is all. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I saw a wicked review some time ago on this subject. Well, it was more airflow based then anything. Heatpipes dont matter for orientation, they work by a process similar to evaporation (research it to understand fully how they work), and thus arnt gravity bound per se. Case Airflow, fan direction and push/pull setup matter more.

Hope this helps
Old August 10, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

North/South = Top to bottom
East/West = Front to back

Intel you always want East/West where some AMD is only North/South
Old August 10, 2010, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Off the top of my head, the CM 212+, TX3, and the Sunbeam Core Contact can do East/West mounting.

-Plato
Old August 10, 2010, 11:42 PM
Banned
F@H

depends on the cooler and case setup

psu at the bottom changes a lot of things if you have a traditional take on case cooling(aka psu up top)

whatever the orientaion is, if you have good exaust measures(aka a good set of fans to take the heat out horizontally or vertically) youre good.