Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   gpu remove thermal paste (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/35044-gpu-remove-thermal-paste.html)

ppippus August 10, 2010 03:10 AM

gpu remove thermal paste

Hi

Excuse me but I need you help me for removing thermal paste from GPU and ram. I want to install a Dissipator on my asus 8800gt graphic card

For the ram I can use a a pensil eraser And It is ok.

For the GPU someone tell me that I can use Alcohol for cleaning home and others tell me that I have to use only a dry cotton cloth and plastic phonecard.

I do not want buy expansive specific liquid as akasa or artic cooling cleaner but I do not want damage on my gpu

Thank You

_dangtx_ August 10, 2010 03:37 AM

first of all, welcome aboard.

secondly, use a q-tip for both, then as pure alcohol as possible. if its a real mess you can 'thow' in a bit of googone, also with the q-tip.

when you install your new cooler, make sure to not apply too much pressure and dont overtighten the screws.

depending on the card, sometimes i put the cooler 'belly up' and then 'lower' the card onto it.

if its a big card, then you do it traditionally

discharge yourself first, always.

use mechanic gloves if you can,helps against zaps

sswilson August 10, 2010 05:20 AM

Yep, purest alcohol you can get your hands on, but instead of a cotton cloth you can always use a coffee filter. Many GPU tims are baked on so you may find that you need to soak the tim for a while in order to soften it up.

I used to recommend aerosol electrical cleaners, but I've recently changed that opinion after having problems with certain types of plastic (cheap vid card cooler shrouds), so now I only suggest using them if you've used the specific product before and know that it won't affect plastics.

fishingfanatic August 10, 2010 07:26 AM

Cases and Cooling

There you have it. Isopropyl 99% is easy to get from a pharmacy(usually). it's also pretty cheap. Be sure to do this in a well ventilated area with no flames or open sources of heat as most solvents are quite flammable.
:biggrin::thumb:

JD August 10, 2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingfanatic (Post 413718)
There you have it. Isopropyl 99% is easy to get from a pharmacy(usually). it's also pretty cheap. Be sure to do this in a well ventilated area with no flames or open sources of heat as most solvents are quite flammable.
:biggrin::thumb:

Depends on your area it seems. Some people have a hard time obtaining 99%, and only 70% is on the shelf. Typically if you ask, they probably have some behind the counter though. In my area, 99% can be found on the shelf.

I would assume its harder to find in places where cooking drugs is common.

Zero82z August 10, 2010 10:52 AM

High concentration isopropanol is not necessary. Even 50% will do the job; you'll just need to use more of it. Get the highest concentration you can but don't be worried if you can't get 99%.

Smoothie August 10, 2010 11:19 AM

I just cleaned off my old 9800 GTX+, the hardest part was taking off the shroud. I just used this Polish Vodka (67%) I had laying around to clean the old paste off. After putting IC Diamond on it I went from 40C idle/66C load to 33C idle/60C load with 90% fan speed. Man there was a lot of furies on that fan shroud lol.

dustin1706 August 10, 2010 02:34 PM

Not sure where the OP is from, but if you are in Alberta, you can buy Everclear. 190 proof, AKA 95% alcohol.

Otherwise, isopropyl is your best bet.

+1 for Q-tips

Eldonko August 10, 2010 02:46 PM

I use methanol and a shop cloth. $2.50 for a bottle at Home depot. People are so paranoid about cleaning off TIM lol, half the time I just wipe it off.

lowfat August 10, 2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldonko (Post 413944)
People are so paranoid about cleaning off TIM lol, half the time I just wipe it off.

That is all I do. Use a shop towel and wipe/polish it off.