Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
MVP

Default How disappointing (Gelid)

I had high hopes for this VGA cooler, but after reading this review it makes me question the companies integrity as a whole.

You build an aftermarket VGA cooler, at least make the bloody thing fit the card right!

I would love to see a company offer some sort of system where if their VGA cooler breaks your card, you send the whole thing back to them and they refund you money for everything (with appropriate receipts for card and cooler, of course). All this business of buying a product that voids your warranty with your card manufacturer and then the VGA cooler taking no responsibility just doesn't sit right with me.

GELID Icy Vision Graphics Card Cooler Introduction :: TweakTown USA Edition
Old July 27, 2010, 10:03 PM

I guess this explains my poor temp results when I tested it.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old July 27, 2010, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

This is one of those companies that their stuff has been way over-hyped including their fans.
Old July 27, 2010, 10:05 PM

I like the Wing fans a lot actually.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old July 27, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Yes I know you do. Your a huge supporter of the company :P
Old July 28, 2010, 04:56 AM
Banned

What are recommended 12cm fans then? I was looking at 12cm case fans and considering Gelid. I was wondering what's better or preferable between the two types of Silent 12s....the PWM or TC. I did ask this in another thread but no one replied. :-(

I just thought, what do you want for $9?!? :) The fans work differently though and one's 4-pin (PWM) and one's 3-pin (TC). Does that make any difference? The TC version has the additional cable. Do both run via hardware control? I don't want to adjust controls via software. I use Windoze and Linux so I don't want software dictating the control. I think the motherboard hardware issues the controls? Maybe through BIOS? The mobo will be a P5Q P45.

'Hope to get some replies/info here. :)

Why do some ppl think the Gelids are overrated? What other fans are preferable that are only $10?
Old July 28, 2010, 06:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I actually second that. I've had great experiences with their Case Fans and the Wing PL series.

Its a shame that the VGA cooler did not work out.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 28, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Wings series are actually pretty nice. And for the cooler, sure it suck but it could have been worst, you remember Guru3D make a review of the Zalman GPU cooler not so long ago and it break something on the card because it was not fitting?? That is even worst. Pretty sure Gelid will fix the issue soon.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 28, 2010, 09:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Very strange, over at the EVGA forums people are using this cooler for their GtX 470/480 with no problems. They have been getting really good temps to.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Count me in as a Wing and Wing PL supporter. Very good fans.
Damn shame about the cooler. Wonder if it just is a bad batch?

I know I've gotten two bad Vantec docks from NCIX in as many orders (wont work in USB 3 mode just usb 2). So "Monday build" batches Do exist. ;)

In either case I wouldnt write off the company over one bad product. Gelid are good people (....Vantec....not so much).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr