Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/34375-thermaltake-frio-cpu-cooler-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL July 19, 2010 08:13 PM

Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

Thermaltake was one of the first companies to release a high-end CPU cooler but in recent years they have struggled to find their stride. The Frio is their latest foray into the heatsink market which retails for under $60 but is supposed to bring Thermaltake's name into line with other industry luminaries like Thermalright and Prolimatech. Can this simple cooler live up to such lofty expectations?

[ Read full article ]

miggs78 July 19, 2010 08:36 PM

Another great review AkG, thanks for the detailed review.

Wow this thing cleans house, even tops out Prolimatech.. Impressive..

_dangtx_ July 19, 2010 08:44 PM

by the gods its indeed a munsta!!!

and its only twice as expensive as the 212+ judging by the cost/perf chart !!!

edit : some say this guy is the top dog atm SP984B1-V2-TherMax Eclipse II™

JMCD July 19, 2010 09:07 PM

Oooh, this could warrant an upgrade from my 212

BootlegUsher July 19, 2010 10:24 PM

I didn't follow what you meant when comparing the various fans when you said that it blew away the Noctua. Do you mean that when both fans are spinning at 1300 RPM, that this Frio fan is pushing more air and with less noise? If that is the case then I think I will be buying these fans.

Jamula66 July 20, 2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

When you do open up the top flap and look inside you actually cant see all that much. This is for the simple reason that Thermalright opted for a two part low density foam protection scheme.
When did we switch to a thermalright review???

SKYMTL July 20, 2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BootlegUsher (Post 405509)
I didn't follow what you meant when comparing the various fans when you said that it blew away the Noctua. Do you mean that when both fans are spinning at 1300 RPM, that this Frio fan is pushing more air and with less noise? If that is the case then I think I will be buying these fans.

In those charts, "Thermaltake Frio" = Frio + Noctua.

gingerbee July 20, 2010 06:49 AM

wow thermaltake i am impressed. thermaltake guys really needed this this cooler

sswilson July 20, 2010 07:51 AM

All of that for around $60??? That's impressive.

Can't say I like the look (how did somebody manage to figure out how to add more plastic to a tower cooler!?!?!?!? ;) ), but at that price / performance ratio (plus the inclusion of two fans vice one) I can be convinced to look the other way.... ;)

As far as the rheostats go..... how long is the cable attaching them, and does it look like there would be any way to securely mount the shaft if a person were to drill out two holes in the back of a blanking plate for rear external access to the dials?

AkG July 20, 2010 07:53 AM

The reheostat cables are VERY short. But they attach via a simple two pin connector. So you can yank them or replace their cable with nice long cables if you have the time and patience.