Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2010, 05:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Noctua NH-U12P Mounted on an Angle

Looking at a Store Installed Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler on my new build I noted it was mounted on an Angle. By that I mean the back side (Towards the RAM Modules) was lower than the Exhaust Side (Towards the Rear Fan) so the whole cooler appears to tilt upwards towards the back of the case. All temps appear fine and everything looks/works great but having never installed one of these coolers myself (I had the store do the installation in this case) I'm wondering if this is okay or if it should be remounted. Anyone ever seen an installation like this ?

Another Guy From Canada
Old July 7, 2010, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably because it doesn't mount super tight. I'm sure if you take both hands, one on each side, you could rotate it and make it straight. That's how all my tower heatsinks have been, and since I'm picky about those kind of things, I've always straightened mine out after installing it.

However it it's really off, it's probably wiser to remove and remount. If you're only twisting it a few degrees, it shouldn't do any harm. But if you twist it too much, you could shift around the thermal compound making the heatsink have poor contact with the CPU.

What store did this? Curious to know. And I guess you could take it back to them and have them re-mount it.
Old July 8, 2010, 06:35 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The unit is pretty Firm so I'm not going to try straightening it in the case so the remove/remount option looks the best, I'll do the remount myself as previously I've always built my own rigs, got lazy this time. However in all fairness the store did a Great Job, everything else is perfect and even with the cooler the temps are dead on. I'm going to do a little more research on this first, I'm not going to mention the store at this point as this could be a legitimate Heat Sink install, I need to get my facts right first, thanks for the input.

Another Guy From Canada
Old July 8, 2010, 03:34 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If it's working fine and giving you acceptable temps then there's really no point in bothering.
Old July 8, 2010, 04:07 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If it's working fine and giving you acceptable temps then there's really no point in bothering.

At this point I'm inclined to agree with you, looks like the installer did not want to remove the tops of the Corsair Dominator Heat Sink so tilted the cooler. This actually looks like it may pull air across the RAM Heat Sinks better then exhaust out the back of case. More than anything I was curious as the Noctura site does not indicate adjustment of this type on the cooler. However things are working great (Max Temps so far 60C @ 100% Load using Rybka 4 Chess Analysis as a load) so for now she stays as is :)

Another Guy From Canada
Old July 8, 2010, 04:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well regardless, it's always good to know what kind of work stores do. Be it good or bad, it's useful knowledge for others. And we have no rules that prevent you from mentioning business names.

Picture would be great too. It'll help explain things better.