Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2010, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

Default Dont buy Silenx

I bought 4 92mm silenx fans. They worked pretty well for the first month. Then one completely failed spinning at 60rpm. The other two had significant barring damage slowing them down, cutting the cfms, and producing a lot of noise. Additionally, all of them the acrylic yellowed.

I contacted silenx about a week ago, and still have not got any reply. Son of a !
Old July 2, 2010, 01:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm Thats interesting, I suppose their cheaper line isn't as good?

I've had no issues or complaints with any of my own SIlenX 120mm fans, nor the ones used in my customer builds.

Thats unfortunate to hear, perhaps I'll steer clear if I need anything smaller than the 120's.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 2, 2010, 02:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There's a lot of info out there about SilenX fans being crap. Just head over to SPCR if you're ever wondering about a fan.
Old July 2, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've always stayed away from companies rumored to have shady business tactics like SilenX.

When an entire community based on silent computing shuns a company I'm pretty sure there's a good chance they're doing something wrong.

Stay away from Scythe fans with parts made by Sony if you want fans with a nice long lifespan.
Old July 2, 2010, 02:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
There's a lot of info out there about SilenX fans being crap. Just head over to SPCR if you're ever wondering about a fan.
I honest to god had never read about what happened over there until just now.

Thats a damn shame...

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 2, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

The Silenx rant...

More than a few of these sort of threads lurking around. Shady business tactics, under-sized bearings, and a misleading fan specs (although hardly alone in that respect, of course).
Old July 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have had several silenx fans, just based on specs.... which are all blatant lies. TH iXtremas aren't all that bad actually, but they don't like to be undervolted.
Old July 2, 2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
I have had several silenx fans, just based on specs.... which are all blatant lies. TH iXtremas aren't all that bad actually, but they don't like to be undervolted.
I have one of those, a 120mm version.

Should I not use it? I need at least one 12cm fan and was wondering if I should buy two now.

I read those complaints on silentpc and yeah, they sure don't like that brand.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Stay away from Scythe fans with parts made by Sony if you want fans with a nice long lifespan.
Say what???? Those very fans are the Scythe S-Flex Series. They're one of the best all purpose fans. I've had one of those running in my power supply in a high heat environment for over 4 years and the thing is running like a champ.

Old July 2, 2010, 08:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I have one of those, a 120mm version.

Should I not use it? I need at least one 12cm fan and was wondering if I should buy two now.

I read those complaints on silentpc and yeah, they sure don't like that brand.
which one do you have?

I have a few IXP-74-09 which are the "800 rpm, 9dba, 38 cfm" fans. They are dead quiet, but I would call it more like 20 cfm tops... not 3. ok for a small htpc i guess. But the CFM is a big lie.

I have a few IXP-74-14 whcih are "1400 rpm, 14db, 72cfm". These things push Mega air. I have no doubt that they meet the 72 cfm rating, but they are louder than some TT 19 db fans... The db is a big lie in this case.

I also have some IP-64-09 which are 92mm "1100 RPM, 24CFM, 9db" These are the only silenx fans that I really like. They are dead silent and push much more air than the TT fans that came with my armor case.

I've got some silenx fans cooling some electronics in my shop and they have been running about 6 hrs a day for 5 years and still work fine.

I won't be buying silenx fans again. They seem to have good batches and bad ones, and they lie about their specs. If you are looking for quiet fans, try Nexus or Noctua.