Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I had two 92mm SilenX fans that broke down before a year. I replaced them no problem with SilenX's RMA, but the replacements broke down within under a year as well. For the price I paid, they should have lasted a lot longer. They were quiet and looked cool, though.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
Allstar

BOught one last week for htpc. 92mm too. Will comment if it breaks or have poor results. It is much lounder than its specs pretend, which is not surprising me, though.

Old July 3, 2010, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

The worst part is they will not reply to my emails.
Old July 3, 2010, 03:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whited View Post
The worst part is they will not reply to my emails.
Yeah I don't like when there is no response from a company.

That doesn't sit well with me.

I use the iXtrema 120's , yes they have a high CFM rating but like all specs they have to be looked at like this I believe.

They have an max airflow and a Min noise, I don't believe that the two are associated with each other (this goes for all manufacturers).
I believe its 72 CFM or at their lowest setting 19DB. I could however be wrong, regardless I've yet to personally find a Fan that actually has realistic specs.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 3, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah I don't like when there is no response from a company.

That doesn't sit well with me.

I use the iXtrema 120's , yes they have a high CFM rating but like all specs they have to be looked at like this I believe.

They have an max airflow and a Min noise, I don't believe that the two are associated with each other (this goes for all manufacturers).
I believe its 72 CFM or at their lowest setting 19DB. I could however be wrong, regardless I've yet to personally find a Fan that actually has realistic specs.

ST
YL, Delta, Panaflo, and Sanyo Denki are all pretty realistic with their numbers, I find (Nevermind actually having some of the less common measurements available at all). And by amazing coincidence, they all have their fingers in the OEM and server markets, which are much less tolerant of misrepresentation of cooling ability.

Silenx claims industry standard testing at 1m, but I've heard that their numbers are actually obtained from averaging x, y, and z-axis measurements, which naturally means that 2 of the positions have the fan sideways to the mic, and obviously borks the final number. Haven't seen it verified, but it makes you wonder.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Good info, never used Silenx before and I'll stay away from them after reading this.
I don't see much talk here (HWC) about Arctic Cooling line of fans and was wondering why?
They have some of the best pricing and are very quiet and have good build quality, they seem to make for a good case fan?
Old July 3, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Never tried their fans but from what I've read, they're not that great in terms of performance. Only saving grace is the pwm chaining of fans which makes them stand out from other fans. My usual go to brands for fans are Gelid, Scythe and more recently the CM R4 Led fans

Old July 5, 2010, 05:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Arctic Cooling has a decent linup of fans, but they aren't heard about as much namely because thier static pressure numbers are no-where near what they should be if you want to mount the fan to a Rad/HS.

That being said, they are somewhat okay for case applications and they do a good job of keeping things relitively quiet. Although I haven't had a chance to play with all of AC's lineup so YMMV.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 5, 2010, 06:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have some AC fans and they are dead quiet. Not sure how much air they push but they are all being used as case fans with one exception. I have 2 of the old style Freezer 64 PWM Pro HSFs that just won't die. One has been running for probably 3-4 years now almost non-stop and it still sounds good and cools great on a AM2 system.

For most budget/regular builds I use Gelid now but for higher end I use either Scythe or Noctua. I absolutely hate Antec tricools and Yate loons, I find both to be WAY too loud. Coolermaster fans are quiet but move NO air. All of this is just my opinion and based on my experience.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED

Last edited by Varroa; July 5, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old July 5, 2010, 04:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I still have the Freezer too on a E5400 OC to 3.4 in my Daughter's rig, great little heatsink. As far as there fans go I like them for case fans only, Cooler Master low RPM fans just don't push that much air and there high RPM fans are loud IMO, I have a few Scythe and find them really good but more expensive than Arctic Cooling. Given the choice I'll probably buy Arctic Cooling fans for case's.