Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2010, 12:15 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Squeaky 80mm fan

Hey HWC,

I have what I think is a thermaltake 80mm fan that is starting to squeak. Its not constant it comes and goes every 5min or so.

What do you suggest? Would just spraying some WD40 into it help? Or should I just buy another cheap 80mm fan.
Old June 25, 2010, 07:57 AM
MVP
F@H

Probably easier to just replace it with a quality fan.

Does the fan have ball bearings or a sleeve bushing?

Are the blades dusty? or any of the fan blades damaged or bent?

Is it a variable speed fan connected to the motherboard (3 or 4 pin) or just single speed connected via a Molex connector?

WD40 is not the best of lubricants - the WD stands for Water Displacement. It's quite 'thin', more like a solvent than a dedicated lubricant. Don't use any graphite based lubricants either - graphite is conductive. If you're intent on lubricating it, try a 'fine' lubricant like a sewing machine oil or fishing reel oil.
Old June 25, 2010, 08:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
Probably easier to just replace it with a quality fan.

Does the fan have ball bearings or a sleeve bushing?

Are the blades dusty? or any of the fan blades damaged or bent?

Is it a variable speed fan connected to the motherboard (3 or 4 pin) or just single speed connected via a Molex connector?

WD40 is not the best of lubricants - the WD stands for Water Displacement. It's quite 'thin', more like a solvent than a dedicated lubricant. Don't use any graphite based lubricants either - graphite is conductive. If you're intent on lubricating it, try a 'fine' lubricant like a sewing machine oil or fishing reel oil.
You know way too much about lubricants....

Yeah I'd just replace the fan myself though. When they go, they go. Its usually not worth the hassle of reviving them because when they are on the way out, there is little you can do.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 25, 2010, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for your replies guys,

Last night I oprened up the case to try to take out the fan. All I managed to do was wipe the dust off the inside due to the absoult rats nest of wires that is in the computer (not really the fault of the guy who built it, he was woking with a thermaltake xaser III which has literally NO cable managment.)

Then I woke up this morning and guess what! No squeaking! Must have been all the dust I got off it. :)