Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2010, 09:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default How to connect Delta PWM fan?

So knowing that warmer weather would soon be here and after adding a water cooled GTX480 to my single loop, I decided to experiment with a higher rpm fan for my triple rad. So I figured I would grab one to start and see how it did.

The Delta I wanted was out of stock, so I switched to this one:
Delta 120MMX38MM Fan Dual Ball Bearing 3900RPM 148.34CFM 51DBA 4PIN PWM

Problem is, I can't figure out how I'm gonna plug the darn thing in, just to see how loud/effective it is. It is only wired with a 4-pin. So I don't want to plug it into a mobo header, and my fan controller (NZXT Sentry2) which it would most likely melt, only has 3-pin connectors anyways. I have a dozen 3-pin to molex adapters, but that doesn't help. Even the higher wattage rated fan controllers seem to only use 3-pin connectors.

Perhaps there's an obvious solution (other than not to get the fan!), but i'm not seeing it. Any help would be appreciated

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old June 15, 2010, 09:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
So knowing that warmer weather would soon be here and after adding a water cooled GTX480 to my single loop, I decided to experiment with a higher rpm fan for my triple rad. So I figured I would grab one to start and see how it did.

The Delta I wanted was out of stock, so I switched to this one:
Delta 120MMX38MM Fan Dual Ball Bearing 3900RPM 148.34CFM 51DBA 4PIN PWM

Problem is, I can't figure out how I'm gonna plug the darn thing in, just to see how loud/effective it is. It is only wired with a 4-pin. So I don't want to plug it into a mobo header, and my fan controller (NZXT Sentry2) which it would most likely melt, only has 3-pin connectors anyways. I have a dozen 3-pin to molex adapters, but that doesn't help. Even the higher wattage rated fan controllers seem to only use 3-pin connectors.

Perhaps there's an obvious solution (other than not to get the fan!), but i'm not seeing it. Any help would be appreciated
You can use the 3-pin to molex adapters. The 4th pin is just the PWM wire, and if it's not plugged it, the fan doesn't care. The adapter means full speed, and the words "Delta" and "full speed" are scary in combination.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 15, 2010, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just cut a part of the plastic off the 3 pin. It should work.

/start sarcasm

be sure to wear ear muffs. the noise will irritate your ears :)

/end sarcasm

-Plato
Old June 15, 2010, 10:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
You can use the 3-pin to molex adapters. The 4th pin is just the PWM wire, and if it's not plugged it, the fan doesn't care. The adapter means full speed, and the words "Delta" and "full speed" are scary in combination.
That would be the blue wire on the end I would guess... I figured that might work but wanted to ask people who would know! The adapters I have that I can find are all closed in on the end around the 3 pins so I'll have to hack off some plastic.

Team Thread
Old June 15, 2010, 10:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

That worked, cool thanks guys

It's not that loud really.

Okay, yes it is

Team Thread