Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 10:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well, cost is a relative term i guess. given how much i'm paying for my new setup, the corsair is a little cheaper ($15-$20).
Old June 29, 2010, 11:07 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

A little cheaper compared to what? My point is that you can get something very similar for a much lower price ($30 on NCIX versus $75 for the Corsair), and this heatsink doesn't appear to be any better designed, nor does it appear to cost appreciably more to produce. Either Corsair is making money hand over fist on these things, or they're getting really ripped off by their manufacturers.
Old June 29, 2010, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The reason why I want to see a review for this is that there is one major difference between the Hyper 212 and the Corsair A70, and that is the size of the heatpipes. The 212 is 6mm, whereas the A70 is 8mm. Now, one would think that would lead to better performance, but we all know that's not necessarily true with failures like the OCZ Gladiator and the HDT-S1284. And the fact that it comes with two fans right off the bat could make it a good contender in its price range.

In any case, if someone finds a review of it online somewhere, be sure to help us HC'ers out and link it here please .
Old June 29, 2010, 11:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A little cheaper compared to what? My point is that you can get something very similar for a much lower price ($30 on NCIX versus $75 for the Corsair), and this heatsink doesn't appear to be any better designed, nor does it appear to cost appreciably more to produce. Either Corsair is making money hand over fist on these things, or they're getting really ripped off by their manufacturers.
Zero has a good point here.

Cost reletive to your system? It would be pointless to spend 60 when you can spend 30 for the same performance. And with CM's you can add 6 for a R4 Fan and go Push Pull if you want and be on par with Corsair.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
probably a bit of both? more of column A though. LOL.

correct me if i'm wrong, but these are corsairs first heatsinks (air cooled) ? If so, I'm sure the next gen ones will actually have something unique about them... at least something corsair will market to justify the premium they will charge.
Old June 29, 2010, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrage View Post
probably a bit of both? more of column A though. LOL.

correct me if i'm wrong, but these are corsairs first heatsinks (air cooled) ? If so, I'm sure the next gen ones will actually have something unique about them... at least something corsair will market to justify the premium they will charge.

If I remember correctly they are based of off another cooler. Much like the H50 is actually an Asertek LC design, and not unique to corsair.

Therefore they would need to take a design and really modifiy it before they can call it their own and make performance adjustments.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 29, 2010, 02:11 PM
Banned
F@H

just thinking out loud, but even if its 3c better under load, it stil ldoesnt justify the price :) hell even 5c wont justify double the price. but i guess you get what you pay for, as its been said before :)
Old July 15, 2011, 02:26 AM
Rookie

Hi everyone this is my first post here at hardware canucks, been lurking for a little while now, lots of good info from lots of you here.
I'm not sure if this info is any good to anyone, but I just picked up the corsair A70 for $29.99 from NCIX a few days ago which seemed like a great deal. I have yet to install it. I noticed the sale price about an hour or two before it was over. I see it's now back up to $65. I do see that the A50 is on sale right now for $19.99 if anyone is interested.

So, any reviews up? not that I really need it, as I'll be finding out for myself, I'd just like to know how others stack up as this will be my first venture into aftermarket cooling, and hopefully soon overclocking.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:28 PM
Rookie

I just did a search and looks like a few other sites now have reviews up for this cooler. I think I'll be happy with this once I install it.
This review I read sounds like it did quite well.
Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Review - Corsair A70 CPU Cooler - Legit Reviews