Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2010, 04:06 PM
Top Prospect

Default Bought Aircooling installed - Help optimizing it now !

Hey guys im planning on overclocking my 920 to 4ghz looking for the best cooling solution.Right now i have looked at these too coolers.
Hydro H50 67$ This one seems unique with the way the cooling works. Kinda want this because it just seems like it should perform better.

Noctua NH-D14 $109.99! Currently leaning towards this. Seems to better for cooling?
Edit about to purchase this in an hour !. YES? NO ?

Need make my purchase by friday.

Budget :$150

My current specs:
core i7 920
6gb ddr3 1600 mhz
asus p6t deluxe v2
corsair 750hx modular psu
haf 922 case

Everything installed properly I think, Now I need help optimizing. My currents temps at idle are
I added etc fan to megahalem no diffrence at all. Both fans are 1800 rpm.

Last edited by Lavitz; May 28, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What kind of case air flow do you have? If you have lots the D14 will spank any of those single bay all in wonders. If your case has less then optimal air flow....the d14 would probably still beat it.

Now with all that being said the D14 is frickin HUGE. So it is a bit more hassle to install. Usually worth the hassle but its big and as heavy as a log!

IF you go the H50 route....for the love of god set it up to blow the hot air OUT of your case! Pushing hot air into a case is foolish w/ WC'ing. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 25, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I always go Hyper 212+ and call it a day, although I don't think that meets your needs.

It's just really hard to beat the dollar value / performance / installation of the Hyper 212+
Old May 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
Banned
F@H

+1 for 212+

unless you need a few degrees better and dont like money like brother sky puts it...:)
Old May 25, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It all depends on how the OP defines "best". 212+ is best bang for your buck....but falls off at higher loads.
Zalman CNP10X Flex w/ dual CM R4 fans is a kick ass cooler and one of the best bang for your bucks at higher heat loads.
D14 w/ three fans is a beast....but costs in both hassle factor and monetary investment.
H50 when setup to exhaust hot air outside the case....results in better inner case temps. Could be an issue w/ hot running GPU's in a case w/ less then optimal air movement. ;)
CoolIT Eco is slightly worse in cooling then a H50 but has BETTER installation, better fan and I strongly prefer it the h50 (stock fan vs stock fan the Eco's only slightly behind a H50). AND its from a CND company with best in class customer support.

Like I said...all depends on how he defines best. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It all comes down to the fan and how much fan noise you can tolerate. There isn't really a best heatsink, its all personally preferences.

From your list I would choose the H50 and put some high speed fans on it.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:58 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

venomous X... *drools*

honestly, I think the hyper 212+ has been hyped up too much by numbers. I've had one, and it wasn't really that great. I guess it was worth the price, but still, it just wasn't that great lol.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:44 PM
Top Prospect

Hyper 212+ is very cheap, money isnt a concern. Im really looking for the best product.I want to hit 4.2 on my corei7 do im thinking ill need volt it to 1.30 even 1.35 for stability. The H50 i think mounting on the side of the case would be best? Yes no?.Or possible top of the case if that will work. Noctua nh d14 i heard is quite and really,kinda of huge though.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try putting the H50 on one of the front intake fan locations if possible. And use another for pull.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Venomus X and Prolimatech Megahalem are hard to beat but for sure if you have the place in the case and the airflow the Noctua DH14 is winner of all category. I have personnally use a H50 ( buy it the first week it came out ) and it was not better compare to my vendetta 2 and the prolimatech just beat it. Can you tell us what is your complete system?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||