Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Exactly yukontrooper. Unless you are going for insane overclocking windego pick whichever one is easier to find, and best fits your budget.

Now with that being said, air vs water all comes down to how much air movement your case will have. IF you have a LOT of air movement the H50 will be out shined by a good air based cooler. IF your case has less then optimal air flow the water will do a much better job.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
Banned
F@H

plus if the pump fails its bad i hear :p. i love huge coolers fanless or near.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The D14 is a great cooler, but its not great for all situations.
Absolutely agree.
But overall is the best heatsink ATM. It shines fanless, it shines at hardcore OC/Vcore/CFM. But in between you find a lot of heatsinks which performs at least as good as D14.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Unless you are going for insane overclocking windego pick whichever one is easier to find, and best fits your budget.
Absolutely agree. Again.

Thanks AkG for a thorough review as usual. It was a pleasure to read it.
Old May 18, 2010, 01:28 PM
Trial Member

Hi,

Sorry, missed this review by a few days. Nice review but it has one small flaw. Instead of showing how shiny the surface is, which will open up a whole new can of worms, could you please show how flat the surface is. I am speaking from experience via a 120 Extreme. Not only was it not flat, the soldering job on the base was lousy. I have since discovered the metal they use to put these together and have modified their work along with an H30.

I would recommend a small machinist knife edge from Mitutoyo. Reflection (imo) means nothing. I even would go so far as to say it is a detriment. Flatness (imo) is where it is at.
Old May 18, 2010, 01:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, according to Thermalright, Prolimatech and a number of other cooler manufacturers, the base of a good cooler should NOT be flat in order to ensure proper heat transfer. Indeed, take that knife to the IHS of an i7 or 775 processor and you will see what I am talking about: they aren't flat.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That's true... I've heard people say that if two surfaces were perfectly flat and perfectly smooth, then thermal compound would be unnecessary, but since a processor's IHS is neither flat nor smooth (unless you lap it yourself), you're always need thermal compound. How much you need probably depends more on how smooth a surface is than how flat it is (to a degree), because a rough surface has much, much more surface area to cover than a smooth one. As long as the surface is relatively flat (or slightly concave, to make up for the curve of the IHS), then the smoothness is much more important. Remember, the more thermal compound you have to use, the more resistance to heat transfer there will be.
Old May 18, 2010, 04:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
I've heard people say that if two surfaces were perfectly flat and perfectly smooth, then thermal compound would be unnecessary
That is correct, but it is also impossible for both surfaces to be perfectly flat and smooth.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So its pretty much a TRUE 120 with a new look.

I am glad I bough this kit for my AM2 system. With it sitting vertically it just looks sooooooo much better.

Thank you AKG

kit link.
NCIX.com - Buy Thermalright AMD Socket AM2 / AM3 BOLT-THRU-KIT REV.2 for Ultra Series / HR Series / Ultima 90 - BTK-AM2-REV-2 In Canada.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:48 PM
Rookie

has anyone tried the venomous x on crosshair iv board?
Old October 19, 2010, 04:29 PM
Trial Member

Default Thermalright Venomous-X Height an issue ?

From the review :
Quote:
* Size (LxWxH): 125x158x160mm
I'm planning on buying the Cosmos-S (which seems to me like the biggest baddest boy in town),
but in the cosmos specs I read this :

Quote:
Other : Keep-out requirement for CPU cooler installation:,
At least 5.7 inch(145mm) separation between motherboard and the side panel of COSMOS S
A. Wtf is a "keep-out requirement" ? Am I translating this right when I take it the the cooler should be installed before inserting the mobo ? (`duh?!)

B. Will the Thermalright Venomous-X even fit inside the case ?! It will come as a shock to me if it won't since this is one of the biggest cases I've seen, although I do understand that the built in side fan takes up space.

Thanks.