Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2010, 10:01 AM
Allstar

^ no mounting pressure

I've own both of these coolers, and I have to say the ven x performs good and is more well sized for ATX motherboard use then the megahalems, but the Megahalems is far superior in terms of build quality and matches if not beats the Ven X, it's just a bit bigger. Anyone agree? Just my 2 cents..
Old May 13, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
^ no mounting pressure

I've own both of these coolers, and I have to say the ven x performs good and is more well sized for ATX motherboard use then the megahalems, but the Megahalems is far superior in terms of build quality and matches if not beats the Ven X, it's just a bit bigger. Anyone agree? Just my 2 cents..
I own the Megahalems and have installed the Venomous X for someone else's 1366 build. Although I really like my Meghalems, I find the Venomous X to be better for 1366 builds.(which are usually on ATX boards) It might have to do with the better finish, pointier convex base, and higher mounting pressure. But I'm sure of one thing, my Megahalems took a huge performance hit when I mount it N/S instead of E/W, while the performance hit on the Venomous X didn't seem to be as big. (maybe staggered heatpipes fight gravity better?) But then again it could just be my thermal pasting skills.

EDIT: forgot to add my gripe about the lack of anti vibration accessories on the Meghalems.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
^ no mounting pressure

I see what they did. The OPTIONAL AM3 backplate uses the old-ass mounting system which is simply crap.

Nice one Thermalright.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just a question here, and maybe I missed it but:

Where are the Noctua D14 results in the charts? Seems a little strange to leave those out, that cooler performs just as well as (or better than) the Megahalems does... right?
Old May 13, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The D14 ONLY performs well with two and three fans on it. Including it in single fan charts would give the wrong impression of its strengths and weaknesses. Nor is it very fair to include its two stock fan results vs stock single fan results of other coolers. The D14 is a great cooler, but its not great for all situations. If we review any dual tower desings in the future the D14 will probably be put back in, but for most reviews its not fair to it or the cooler being reviewed to have it in the charts.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 13, 2010, 01:04 PM
Allstar

^

Very good point. Wondered that myself. Good explanation.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, at the end of the day, it's still an air cooler, it cools the same processors in the same way. It looks different and uses a different fan configuration, but it's an air cooler. As such, I think it may be unfair to readers to leave it out; you clearly compared the D14 to other coolers when you reviewed it, so why can't you compare new coolers to it when you review them?
Old May 13, 2010, 01:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Just because it is an air cooler doesn't mean that its unique nature warrants its addition to every review we do. Basically, because the way it is designed it simply doesn't fit into our standard methodologies which are transported from one review to the next.

AkG explained this perfectly in his post above.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the review, was looking at this, mega and h50... still dunno what to get sigh.
Old May 13, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windego View Post
Thanks for the review, was looking at this, mega and h50... still dunno what to get sigh.
The small difference in performance between the top-end coolers is nothing to split hairs over.