Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2010, 12:55 AM
Top Prospect

Default fan choices

whats the best fan choices for radiators and for intakes into a tight case would i be better off with alot of cfm or static pressure?
Old May 9, 2010, 04:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Anything that goes on a Radiator, or Heatsink with dense fins needs a good static pressure rating.

For LED Fans the Coolermaster R4 LED's are a very good choice as they have an excellent static pressure rating.
Beyond that the SilenX iXtreme fans are not bad either, nor are the Gelid Wing 12 series.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 9, 2010, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gentle Typhoons are probably your best bet IMO. San Ace's are nice too but hard to find and require a fan controller unless you enjoy noise. Scythe S-FLEX's are pretty decent too. And there's always the cheap Yate Loons.

I'd avoid anything SilenX though. They aren't typically suggested for anything really.
Old May 9, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For rads and cpu coolers, static pressure > CFM. You can have all the air movemnt in the world when there is no backpressure BUT if it cant push past the resistance the CFM will tank, whereas a high static pressure fan will be closer to its cfm rating even under less then ideal conditions. This is why I like CM R4s, Scythe S Flex and Noctua fans. If you dont mind going thicker 120x38mm fans are usually higher then 120x25mm. I like undervolted Panaflo's and San Aces...but they are expensive.

For case fans, cfm can be more important then static pressure BUT it depends on the case and the design of the fan ports. Lower quality cases have less then optimal holes for the fan, which in turn make the fan fight for every breath of air it can get. All in all, Cm R4s are a good choice for higher demand cases (for good cases it doesnt really matter to much, get a good CFM low noise fan like Gelid Wings and you will be laughing). You can volt mod them down to make them quiet, yet they will still have kick ass static pressure and still move a decent amount of air. Another good choice is Yate Loons. But once again you will have to volt mod some of them as they are loud at 12v but silent at 7v.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 9, 2010, 08:45 PM
Top Prospect

ive been looking at all your guys sugestions and ive noticed no one really likes the silentx xtrema fans.

they have the highest cfm to dba ratio that ive found (70cfm to 20dba roughly) i was thinking use them for my intake fans.

no good? if so why not.

thanks
Old May 9, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Never trust manufacturer's dba ratings. They are almost always off.

-Plato
Old May 10, 2010, 07:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer View Post
ive been looking at all your guys sugestions and ive noticed no one really likes the silentx xtrema fans.

they have the highest cfm to dba ratio that ive found (70cfm to 20dba roughly) i was thinking use them for my intake fans.

no good? if so why not.

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Never trust manufacturer's dba ratings. They are almost always off.
Precisely. SilenX is known to lie the most about their ratings. I don't think Coolermaster is much better either with their ratings (90CFM @ 19dBA, yeah right). From what I recall, Scythe and Noctua are pretty honest about things.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:16 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You're looking at two different ratings there. Its not "90CFM @ 20db" or "70CFM @ 14db" but in fact it's saying "As much as 90cfm at max, as quiet as 20db at minimum". That being said, the R4s a dam good any way you look at them.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are looking for silence on your rad then Scythe gentle typhoon 1450 RPM are probably some of the best. They have a pretty high air flow and are dead silent ( but a bit heavy ) so you NEED a backplate ( bolt-thrue kit ) on your cooler. Coolermaster R4 are also nice but they are 2000RPM so a bit noisy. You can also take a loot at Yate loon ( the red one ) I can't remember the model number. For intake, then you don't need to have a killer pressure or high airflow. Only decent will be enough. Gelid wing 1000RPM are seriously fine, lower speed r4 are also a must have. For intake I also like Zalman something f3. They come with a little res that alow you to cut the speed so they are silent, realiable, good price and move a good amount of air for a intake fan. Hope you get everything you need here!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 10, 2010, 05:49 PM
Top Prospect

im looking at the r4's at ncix and they dont have them in red or non led black. they gotta be either red or black otherwise my case is gonna look dumb. so i guess im going with the sythe gentle typhoons for the rads and... actually ncix doesnt even have those.. were do you guys get your fans from?