Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2010, 04:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Default NZXT Sentry 2 widespread bug

UPDATE: as mentionned by 'bignick277' on page 2, NZXT's reps have told him that they will be providing a revision 2 for sale. Still not clear if they will be providing a free exchange (i.e. paid both ways priority shipping), or expect you to ship it back yourself, or expect you to buy a new one with a 'revision 2' label slapped on it.

As I was upgrading to an x58 extreme, I decided to try out my crappy Sentry 2 again (it's been sitting in my case looking good and taking ambient temps for months because I couldn't stand the buzz). I say NZXT has screwed up big time, and anyone who recommends nzxt anything is nuts in the head.

NZXT Sentry 2 - fans strange noice
Sentry 2 Fan List (Strange Noise)

From NZXT reps on their own forums:

Quote:
We were expecting them to arrive next month, but we received note that they need to reconfirm the ship date. At the moment, I would suggest either keep the unit you have and RMA it when the updated Sentry 2 arrives or return the unit and purchase when they are available.
They have already stated that this is completely the fault of the controller, and with the help of {--M--} and Secular from forums.ncix, their 'engineers' have implied to come to conclusion that they have in fact cheaped out on components. The reps have also mentioned that all sentry 2's have this problem. It doesn't necessarily make a buzzing sound, but they all have cheap components that are not adequate. There is no need to mention the obvious that this completely defeats the purpose of buying a fan controller. If you go read up the big new yellow reviews of this controller, some people experience experience the buzzing, about 10% or so.

I did not buy my Sentry 2 from ncix, I got it from [decided to remove name]. Since then I've seen 1 other member who tried to sell one of these because "it isn't compatible with my CM r4 fan." Very unethical. This is not the distributor's fault at all so save your rage for NZXT.

YouTube - NZXT Sentry 2 noise

Last edited by 0o0; June 4, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old April 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
As I was upgrading to an x58 extreme, I decided to try out my crappy Sentry 2 again (it's been sitting in my case looking good and taking ambient temps for months because I couldn't stand the buzz). I say NZXT has screwed up big time, and anyone who recommends nzxt anything is nuts in the head.

NZXT Sentry 2 - fans strange noice
Sentry 2 Fan List (Strange Noise)

NZXT will NOT provide an exchange for the new Sentry 2 revision, after all these months. No need mention that they don't provide a prepaid express/next-morning shipping label
From NZXT reps on their own forums:

They have already stated that this is completely the fault of the controller, and with the help of {--M--} and Secular from forums.ncix, their 'engineers' have implied to come to conclusion that they have in fact cheaped out on components. The reps have also mentioned that all sentry 2's have this problem. It doesn't necessarily make a buzzing sound, but they all have cheap components that are not adequate. There is no need to mention the obvious that this completely defeats the purpose of buying a fan controller. If you go read up the big new yellow reviews of this controller, some people experience experience the buzzing, about 10% or so.

I did not buy my Sentry 2 from ncix, I got it from [decided to remove name]. Since then I've seen 1 other member who tried to sell one of these because "it isn't compatible with my CM r4 fan." Very unethical. This is not the distributor's fault at all so save your rage for NZXT.

YouTube - NZXT Sentry 2 noise

not good

i remember seeing something about the compatible...who was it?
Old April 23, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The included fan controller on my Lexa S has a buzzing problem too, but fortunately for me I never use it. Their fans tick, buzz, and vibrate quite a bit too, although the performance and looks are pretty good.
Old April 23, 2010, 06:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting. SInce I have had two now with nary a problem running very high end - Low end Fans. No Noise, no failure, nothing.

You can save all your rage for NZXT but alas manufacturing problems do happen en-masse.

Hopefully they will clear this up in the near future with RMA of older controllers.
I will still support them. To think they are the only one who has ever messed would be naive.

[QUOTENZXT will NOT provide an exchange for the new Sentry 2 revision, after all these months. No need mention that they don't provide a prepaid express/next-morning shipping label
From NZXT reps on their own forums:][/QUOTE]

Out of Curiousity 0o0 , who does? I know Dell/HP will. But Does Corsair? G.SKill? EVGA? HIS?
That is not a fair judgement to make.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 23, 2010, 07:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Newegg did. I don't think corsair and other companies screw up this big.

dangtx, it was b1lk1 who sold me the controller. so guess that's why he wanted to get rid off it...
Old April 23, 2010, 07:55 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:

dangtx, it was b1lk1 who sold me the controller. so guess that's why he wanted to get rid off it...

ah,ok. stuff happens i guess
Old April 23, 2010, 08:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Gonna correct a few things because a) I've delt with B1lk1 and b) you missed my point.

One, most companies Do not Send you a Pre-Paid RMA shipping Label. Check out the thread in troubleshooting (Canadian RMA Experience) and you will see most of us pay for our shipping of defective products (with some exceptions) to their RMA Destination.

Two, I've owned two Sentry 2 controllers and this is the first I've heard of it. You cannot blame someone for selling something they no longer need and expect them to know Everything about it, and possible recalls or faults. Every piece of hardware out there has the potential to be faulty no matter who makes it. So making that accusation does not sit well with me.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old April 23, 2010, 08:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't make any accusation. Someone asked for the user's name, and I told them the user's name. I can remove it if you like, all you gotta do is ask (or use brute force and do it yourself). You're accusing me of accusing something. Funny.

I was referring to the i7 hoax from newegg. This is obviously not as severe, but it completely defeats the purpose of buying a fan controller. Are you just angry because I didn't buy the Zalcman controller from you and I bought this instead?
Old April 24, 2010, 03:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OKay let me quote you again and this time I will Highlight it.

Quote:
In you exact words you are assuming that B1lk1 sold his fan controller because its faulty.
What part in there is not an accusation (however mild) please, do explain.

Quote:
Are you just angry because I didn't buy the Zalcman controller from you and I bought this instead?
That has nothing to do with anything. And bringing that into the Mix does no justice to the original issue at hand other than an attempt to Deflect from my main point.
I hold no feelings towards any sales that do or do not go through and suggesting otherwise to me was not very mature. I handle my duties here as a Mod very professionaly and that is the foremost issue at hand.

ST

Old April 24, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When you present an issue with hardware it is best to not let your temper flare; and to in your best ability and with your best knowledge at the time present it as neutrally as possible. It makes getting your point across more authentic. When you come right out and title a thread "DO NOT BUY". That is pretty inciting and really only hurts your cause.

You have obviously had a bad experience; and I'm not evening defending NZXT as a brand.. but by being so bias towards things right off the bat you completely made yourself short sighted to the fact that there IS; a big possibility you, yourself could have done something wrong here with the hardware - or maybe you're overlooking facts.

I find it funny a lot that people have such a hard time with this stuff; because I've never in my life had a hard time with defective parts and the VERY few I have had; were warrantied right away by their respective companies.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.