Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2010, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default hyper 212 plus install tips

I thought since I am getting a new case i would get a new heatsink for my cpu and the 212+ looks like a good one and I can use it down the road when i upgrade. Its going on a 775 e6600 cpu . Oh and is the paste that comes with it any could or should I get some other type.

I havent installed a heatsink before that uses a backplate. Its going onto a asus p5n-e sli board.

oh and I am looking for a 120mm fan to add to the case as well (bottom)

keep in mind that I have it currently oc'ed at 2.9 which is very small but I plan on increasing this once i get everything rebuilt. I heard 3.2+ is attainable

Last edited by Rescue119; April 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hey Rescue119,

The 212+ is an awesome cooler for it's price. I'm using it on an OCed i7 920 (1366) and my dad's E5200 (775). The instructions are very simple to follow and installing the backplate was super easy. You will probably have to take the mobo out of the case though.

The provided thermal paste is iffy, if you can invest in some MX-2 I'd strongly recommend it.

It comes with lots of goodies and everything you will need to install it.
Old April 19, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's a really easy install once you get the backplate in. Even the backplate is pretty easy to get in, all you need is a phillips head screwdriver and you're set.

Just don't do what I did and try to screw the hold down plate into the cooler. It just rests on top and then puts pressure when you screw down the 4 screws. Otherwise you sit there looking like an idiot wondering why the plate doesn't screw in.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old April 19, 2010, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks
Old April 19, 2010, 06:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
Hey Rescue119,

The 212+ is an awesome cooler for it's price. I'm using it on an OCed i7 920 (1366) and my dad's E5200 (775). The instructions are very simple to follow and installing the backplate was super easy. You will probably have to take the mobo out of the case though.

The provided thermal paste is iffy, if you can invest in some MX-2 I'd strongly recommend it.

hyper 212+ on an i7... is that a D0? What are the clocks/volts/temps?
Old April 19, 2010, 06:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
Hey Rescue119,

IIRC the TIM it comes with is based on MX-2...or atleast I think it was.

Id go with mx-3, or IC7.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 19, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old April 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ya i couldnt find mx-2 but saw mx-3 so got that
Old April 20, 2010, 02:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IIRC the TIM it comes with is based on MX-2...or atleast I think it was.

Id go with mx-3, or IC7.

YMMV
I could believe that because the colour is the same, but I've found that the 212+ paste is dry and a bit more viscous when it comes out, and the mx-2 comes out with some transparent liquidy stuff surrounding it and is a bit more slippery if you don't hold onto it with one hand while you grab the screwdriver with the other (my nh-d14 nearly slipped off the socket lol). Where did you find out about the 212+ paste being based on mx-2, and how different is it?
Old April 20, 2010, 02:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

Got one recently and as 0o0 mentioned it is very thick and not MX-2 like. Very hard to work with.
Old April 21, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Interesting ADay2Long, all I can say is that the stuff that came with my review unit had the exact same consistency of MX2 and in quick n dirty testing had the same performance as MX2. I also know Skymtl stated it was It was CM's own stuff and was/ is based off of AC MX-2 in that cooler's review comment thread (around the 200 post mark IIRC). Could easily have been changed as time goes by and TBH I havent cecked recently as I always use my own BIG tube and never rely on stock TIM as its MY rep on the line w/ any custom build I do (I just chuck the stock TIM that comes with all coolers I use in builds). Next time I use a 212 I'll have to take the time and look! :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 21, 2010 at 05:41 PM.