Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2010, 01:23 AM
Rookie

Default Noctua Fans

Hey all,

I was thinking of replacing all the fans on my HAF 932 with Noctua 120 and 140mm fans. My goal is quiet and efficient - I'll be doing a little bit of overclocking. I hate LEDs. How will the Noctua fans hold up? Are there better fans out there in terms of sound/performance?

Thanks!
Old April 15, 2010, 03:52 AM
Allstar

I've got a couple of Noctuas...

They are pretty good and silent. However overrated and ugly.

Old April 15, 2010, 07:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If the Noctua fans were lets say black and white instead of the current colour I wonder if that would change people's opinion...

Now the price is a tad much but I've put Noctua fans in many many builds for family and friends and never one bad fan. The fans that come with the HAF are pretty quiet. If you don't like the "lights" just become MacGyver.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the price of Noctua's there are much better fans. Scythe SFF12D/E/F fans are great, Gente Typhoon AP-15's are good, and Noiseblockers are just the best.

If Noctua's sold for $13 they would be good. And if they were all black/black+white. But they do look original and distinguished.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
For the price of Noctua's there are much better fans. Scythe SFF12D/E/F fans are great, Gente Typhoon AP-15's are good, and Noiseblockers are just the best.

If Noctua's sold for $13 they would be good. And if they were all black/black+white. But they do look original and distinguished.
I like those too. Less expensive and still good quality.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Banned

Noctua fans are not overrated at all. Ugly? Yes but NOT overrated. They are quite excellent fans and are very efficient and quiet.

Of course there are ALWAYS something that is better.....but for the money Noctua is one of the top 3 IMHO.
Old April 15, 2010, 03:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have the Noctua 140mm fan that mounts with 120mm holes. Pretty terrible static pressure. Not worth the 20$.
The 1850rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoons that I have have much higher static pressure and are pretty much just as silent.
Noctua is very, very overrated.

For the kind of money Noctua wants, buying a San Ace would be better.
Old April 15, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like my Gelid Silent 12 PWM. They shoot out alot of air for the price ~$7 (NCIX Sale). Also they are fairly silent too.

-Plato
Old April 15, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Noctua fans are not overrated at all. Ugly? Yes but NOT overrated. They are quite excellent fans and are very efficient and quiet.

Of course there are ALWAYS something that is better.....but for the money Noctua is one of the top 3 IMHO.
Too much $, I tried Noctua, Scythe, Gelid and the stock fan on several Xigmatek coolers and the Noctua actually cooled worst. I went with Gelid.

Quote:
I like my Gelid Silent 12 PWM. They shoot out alot of air for the price ~$7 (NCIX Sale). Also they are fairly silent too.
I concur.