Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default non electrical conductive paste

So let's see if I have this right; if I use a TIM that is non electrically conductive, then it's not as a big a worry if some seeps over the edge of the cpu? Am I right in thinking that?

If so, what are some good non-electrically conductive pastes? I believe OCZ freeze is non-elec conductive.

For my build, since it was my first, I was so worried about using too much paste that I don't think I used enough (considering I have an HDT heatsink). I know too much is bad for heat, but I may buy something like the ocz freeze and put some more on that what I have. (I used the paste that came with the coolermaster hyper 212+).

At stock speeds with my amd 965 be, with cool'n'quiet enabled, I get about 26c idle and about 50c under prime95. If I lower my cpu voltage to about 3.7 and up my multiplier to give me a 3.8ghz overclock, my idle goes up to 35c and under prime goes to 60. That's a little too close to max temp for me. I tried a multiplier only oc with stock voltage and my temps quickly shot up to 70c soon after starting prime.

So I'm thinking I didn't use enough paste, and could probably use a better quality paste.
Old March 31, 2010, 08:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm001 View Post
So let's see if I have this right; if I use a TIM that is non electrically conductive, then it's not as a big a worry if some seeps over the edge of the cpu? Am I right in thinking that?

If so, what are some good non-electrically conductive pastes? I believe OCZ freeze is non-elec conductive.
Correct, and I use Arctic Cooling MX-3 as it's not conductive, performs very well, and is easy to find. I haven't had a chance to use OCZ's TIM yet.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The TIM that came with the CM 212+ is based off MX2 (IIRC). Its non conductive and good stuff, so going MX3 probably wont change your temps by all that much....UNLESS you didnt use enough. Reapply the MX2 w/ a couple small lines (one per aluminum block on the base of the heatsink) and none on the CPU. The line method is what works best for HDT coolers. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 31, 2010, 09:45 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

None of the major thermal pastes are conductive (including AS5, contrary to popular belief). I personally recommend MX-2 or MX-3, but realistically, there's so little difference between pastes that it doesn't matter what you use. Even the crappy white stuff is sufficient for 99% of people.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't use the crappy white stuff, it oxides copper twice as fast. I used it with one of my Zalman's before and temps were fine, but they got really bad after 2 years. Took off the hsf and saw the base completely tarnished. The copper fins were only mildly tarnished though.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I havent gotten around to applying my IC7 thermal paste to my i7 920 since well i haven't felt like ripping my rig apart to do it. I have replaced the stock paste my atom system came with and appears to run the system a bit cooler.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Some can become slightly capacitive over time, so generally good practice to keep it away from connections :)
Old April 1, 2010, 03:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The TIM that came with the CM 212+ is based off MX2 (IIRC). Its non conductive and good stuff, so going MX3 probably wont change your temps by all that much....UNLESS you didnt use enough. Reapply the MX2 w/ a couple small lines (one per aluminum block on the base of the heatsink) and none on the CPU. The line method is what works best for HDT coolers. :)
I did not know it was based off mx2, thanks for that info. I will try reapplying on the weekend and post temp results in here.

Thanks all