Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2010, 05:02 PM
MVP

Default cpu cooler weight limit

i have just pruchased an asus P7P55D Deluxe. my question has to do with a weight limit for the cooler. like a lot i mount my mothrrboard in a case and then stand it up.

way back i had an msi motherboard. it had a weight limit of around 454 grams for the cpu cooler. i have been on the asus site and cannot find any such thing about the board.

does anyone know where this information can be found?

cheers and thx

rob123
Old March 30, 2010, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

i got the pro version and i really don't thing any mainstream coolers, even tower coolers are heavy enough to damage the board IF installed correctly, that means a Back plate must be present (for the cooler *cpu also as 1 so do mix them up* most coolers come with one now days.)

i had the HDT-S1283 on my old asus board without a back plate and it started bending and messed it up(i think the mofsat heat sink got away from them and overheated.

My Boinc Stats
Old March 30, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't bother looking, 9/10 tower heatsinks go over the suggested weight limit for motherboards.

But that doesn't mean your motherboard won't be able to handle it, and it shouldn't void any warranties.

Asus, Gigabyte, Intel, from my personal experience use fairly rigid boards and they don't bend/warp no matter how much pressure/weight my cooler gives it. As long as you have a good backplate that is. The older Zalmans for example, come with really crappy plastic backplates.
Old March 30, 2010, 09:48 PM
Banned
F@H

if its a heavy cooler, if its attached right itll be ok..now if you drop your pc and the bracket or screws give way? hmmmm itll do some damage
Old March 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
MVP

Default NH-C12P SE14

thx for the assistance.

i have ordered the Noctua NH-C12P SE14. it garnered positive reviews. it comes with the necessary mounting hardware to allay concerns about weight.

rob123
Old March 31, 2010, 08:42 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

As already stated, dont bother looking at weight "limits" as most heatsinks are over.

That being said, when installing a new and heavy HSF, if possible install it when the motherboard is Already attached to the case/motherboard tray. Many people install their huge heatsinks (especially on intel motherboards) before, which actually warps the motherboard.... then they fight to get the motherboard to flatten back out when installing it in the case/on the motherboard tray. The exception to this is when you have access to the back of the motherboard once its installed, because then you can also install the heatsink after the motherboard is in using a backplate.