Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2010, 08:11 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Lamptron FC5 fan Controller Review Comment Thread

Fan controllers aren't exactly the most glamorous items in the tech world nor are they popular these days. However, companies like Lamptron have continued to innovate these products with upscale LCD displays, numerous readout options and the ability to control multiple high power fans. Their ideals seem grounded in reality but is the $60 asking price?

[ Read full article ]
Old March 29, 2010, 08:25 PM
Banned
F@H

solid controllers right there. i wouldnt worry to much about the temp readins(ok its factored in the price...)

im curious if its got a protection mechanism(that actually works) if it goes over..say 45-50 watts per channel?
Old March 29, 2010, 08:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Looks very promising. I don't know a thing about how they work so... I gotta ask, would it be possible to replace the temperature probes to get more accurate results?
Old March 29, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, I can't believe how simple it is to make a controller. This one is something way prettier than I would ever make though.

I do question the use of such high quality caps though. I mean it's not like there's a ridiculously amount of power flowing through these things. I do like the high quality look of it though. I think that's where it counts most.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Clearance?

How far do the nobs stick out ? Will the fancy sliding door on the Raven 01 clear? If yess me wnts
(even if I have to buy a dremmil)

sloppy tolerances) the installation was a breeze.

good toy nice review :)
Old March 29, 2010, 11:13 PM
HaDeS

This thing definately has potential and in the right hands could do some really intresting things. I know I perfer hardware controlled fans compared to software controlled after my theta soft adventures. 30w on one output is unreal!!! All your fans on one toggle now that's impressive. I reckon a little modding and this thing would look wicked on the right case.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The burns and poor soldering on the PCB don't exactly inspire confidence, but it does look awfully nice, from the outside...
Old March 30, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm wondering if this would fit with the door of my P183 closed ?
Old March 30, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The knobs are about a 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch'ish long. I truly doubt they will fit behind many case doors as most cases don't have that much clearance!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 30, 2010, 06:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have this sitting on my desk, looks like it is about time that I install it. Did it produce any audible whine when running the fans at low speed? I know I had trouble with the FC3 and it produced some terrible whine.