Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2010, 12:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

will anything bad happen if i rig my 2 front fans on my antec 900 to one switch?
Old June 11, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As long as the total wattage is under the max draw you will be OK. As for your earlier question (sorry didnt see it earlier). Can you daisy chain them together? All you need is one complete circuit from the 3 pin port on the lampy 5 to the last fan. Thats how I connected a whole bunch of fans for the review.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 11, 2010, 09:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
As long as the total wattage is under the max draw you will be OK. As for your earlier question (sorry didnt see it earlier). Can you daisy chain them together? All you need is one complete circuit from the 3 pin port on the lampy 5 to the last fan. Thats how I connected a whole bunch of fans for the review.

well if found some molex to 3 pin female adapters on ebay so i'll go with those...but what do you mean by daisy chain?
Old June 11, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
will anything bad happen if i rig my 2 front fans on my antec 900 to one switch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
well if found some molex to 3 pin female adapters on ebay so i'll go with those...but what do you mean by daisy chain?

I was using a fan controller on my Antec 900 case before and I had it set so that the two front fans were controlled by one knob on the fan controller.

Basically with those fans you can just plug the molex from them together then onto the 4 pin to 3 pin cable then to the controller. I'm sure that is what AkG means by daisy chaining.

So yes the wattage is fine, you can easily run both front fans from one switch.

Oh yea, and I just remembered where I got the cables I needed to use the controller with those fans:
Fan/MOBO Adapter Cables 2-10-Pin : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Hope that helps.

Old June 15, 2010, 04:28 AM
Rookie

An updated version of this Fan Control has been released. (May 2010)

Lamptron FC-6- 20 Watts Per Channel 4 Channel Mulit-Color Fan Controller - Black Products Model: FC-6-BK [FC-6-BK] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Details can be found on the Lamptron page.

Lamp Electronics

It looks as though they've changed the LCD, but I can't tell much beyond that.

I'll be looking into getting this for my HAF X Mod
Old June 15, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Stew, Lamptron already announced the FC6 Its got the revised LCD, which increases the viewing angle. I have an FC5, and the angle sucks... I need to RMA the unit, as the RPM display on channel one only goes to 600RPM when more then three fans are hooked up - it displays 600RPM, but the fans are going 2000RPM.
Old June 15, 2010, 08:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The fc5 and fc6 are different models; with different pros and cons to both. For example the fc5 is rated to handle more wattage per channel then the fc6 (and has beefier heatsinks)...but the fc6 has a better LCD screen. Everything in life is a series of trade-offs. Which ever model fits your needs best is the one that you should get. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 15, 2010, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I heard there were issues with RPM readouts when daisy chaining fans together on other boards. I'm looking at a controller, but will have 6 fans to control. I would prefer to have the red readout (easier on the eyes in the dark). Otherwise I'll just end up getting a Scythe Kaze master.
Old June 15, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Lamptron is redoing the FC5 with the FC6's screen. Once that is out, I'll RMA mine and hopefully get a new revised FC5 :)
Old June 16, 2010, 09:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

hmm so i got the fans all hooked up...and they work fine, but my only gripe is that there is no RPM readout for the antec 900 case fans...I do have a Gelid fan which is on the side, and that displays RPMs on the FC, but my case fans are a no go...is there a solution to this?