Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2010, 06:37 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
I have this sitting on my desk, looks like it is about time that I install it. Did it produce any audible whine when running the fans at low speed? I know I had trouble with the FC3 and it produced some terrible whine.
I've had my FC5 for months and i get zero whine like with the FC2/3. If your worried about it just test it outside your case.
Old March 30, 2010, 06:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nope. No whine at any voltage. I went looking for any telltale whine and found none.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 30, 2010, 08:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
I have this sitting on my desk, looks like it is about time that I install it. Did it produce any audible whine when running the fans at low speed? I know I had trouble with the FC3 and it produced some terrible whine.
That's generally a sign of poorly designed (cheap) PWM (pulse width modulated) fan controller.
They drive the fan directly using PWM signal rather than include a filter and amp, to save cost.

Not sure if this controller is PWM or linear though. Lamptron doesn't say in their specs.
Linear doesn't have that problem, but they could have startup problems with low speed.
Old March 30, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm thinking of buying one for my total eclipse build. I like the idea of changing LEDs.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking "Oh man white screen awesome, I may just pick one up!"

Should have called it light blue screen.
Old April 5, 2010, 01:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

just out of curiosity, how difficult are these things to install?
Old April 5, 2010, 04:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
just out of curiosity, how difficult are these things to install?

Not that hard, you have to route the extension cables for the Fan connections just like routing any other type of cabling in your Tower. You can save yourself a lot of grief too by just ignoring the Temp Probes altogether. That way it limits what you have to do for cable management.

That being said, this is by far one of the best fan controllers I've had the pleasure of using.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 5, 2010, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think I will be buying this. It may not be a legit white, but its good enough for my liking. Lol, my fan controller quest started with me looking at a Aquaero USB controller for $150, than a BigNG for $100, and now this one for $60 (prices rounded up). This thing looks solid, and the review and ST word on it seems to make it a great choice.
Old April 5, 2010, 01:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Not that hard, you have to route the extension cables for the Fan connections just like routing any other type of cabling in your Tower. You can save yourself a lot of grief too by just ignoring the Temp Probes altogether. That way it limits what you have to do for cable management.

That being said, this is by far one of the best fan controllers I've had the pleasure of using.

ST
so does the fan controller come with the extensions for the fan connections? or are these already included with the fans in my antec 900 case?
Old April 5, 2010, 01:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
so does the fan controller come with the extensions for the fan connections? or are these already included with the fans in my antec 900 case?
It has Extensions much like most high quality Fan Controllers , they should have enough length that you can wire anything inside of your case without worry. Then Again it all depends on how you route them, but I'd say they are, guess because I am not home 12-14 inches each.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com