Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2010, 01:30 PM
Banned

Default recommend 120mm case fans?

I have an Antec 300 case that I'm transferring my system to. I posted about this in the 'overclocking' section since the topic was heatsink-related.

I've since checked the case and Antec 300 reviews pages.

It looks like I have two fan ports in the front and one on the side in which case fans are optional.

I want to fill these up.

I have a Yate Loon fan (or derivative/clone?) that I thought could go on the side.

That leaves two spaces in front. I was wondering what fans to get. I want optimum cooling in my case since I will try to keep it especially cool in case I get a new video card. Also, if I decide to overclock my Q6600 cpu (I wasn't yet; there's no fan on the heatsink yet), I will want cool ventilation and cooling in the case, right??

What fans do you recommend? Also, is it okay to have a S-Flex fan for the Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink I have? Or should I change it to something else and move that fan to the front?

The only other fan I have right now is a Silenx Ixtrema 120. I bought this for my Antec Solo case but I didn't use it. Is this fan any good? Should I use it? It seems to be a bit larger than typical 120mm fans but maybe that's just the appearance?

Anyway, I hope to receive some info or recommendations since I wanted to get all the parts together before I switch the system over. :)

I read that Nexus fans get good reviews but maybe I don't need 'certain name' fans for the front? Not sure but I believe these fans keep the hard drives cool?
Old March 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A few questions for you, what is more important to you? Fans that provide pure performance or Fans that are Quiet in the utmost?

For Pure Performance in a case fan I would suggest the Yate Loon 88CFM Blue LED Variety, or AeroCool Xtremeturbine 120mm. They really know how to move air in a case so long as you don't put them on a heatsink or Rad.

On the Silent End of the Spectrum you could Opt for Gelids Wing 12 or Silent Flavours. They are very reliable, quiet and decent for what they do. SilenX and Scythe also make very quiet varieties.

For your heatsink. Coolermaster R4 all the way. Its static pressure (Important of HSF) its very solid and you won't be disappointed.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
A few questions for you, what is more important to you? Fans that provide pure performance or Fans that are Quiet in the utmost?

For Pure Performance in a case fan I would suggest the Yate Loon 88CFM Blue LED Variety, or AeroCool Xtremeturbine 120mm. They really know how to move air in a case so long as you don't put them on a heatsink or Rad.

On the Silent End of the Spectrum you could Opt for Gelids Wing 12 or Silent Flavours. They are very reliable, quiet and decent for what they do. SilenX and Scythe also make very quiet varieties.

For your heatsink. Coolermaster R4 all the way. Its static pressure (Important of HSF) its very solid and you won't be disappointed.

ST
Really? 'Haven't heard of the Coolermaster R4 until you mentioned it. Not very positive on NCIX's customer reviews but I take those with a grain of salt sometimes depending on the complaint.

The problem is these fans are especially expensive when ordering online (i.e. from a vendor). Ten bucks shipping for a fan?!? I guess I'm trying to find a fan locally. I found the Coolermaster R4 at one location already but they want $15 It's $5 at some vendors. Can't win.

As for silence v.s. performance, I thought maybe compromise. I thought I should get half decent airflow but I also don't want to be distracted by excessive noise. I am thinking of upgrading my video card to the Radeon HD 5770 so when I decide which brand and (pcb) design, I thought some airflow would be good but I don't think I need all performance fans since that card doesn't run on very high heat or power.
Old March 30, 2010, 12:21 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

+1 for R4s as heatsink fans, although they're a tiny but too loud at full speed for my liking, but 10v or less makes them amazing performers.

For case fans, i see no reason at all to go the "balanced" route. You're using an Antec 300 with fans everywhere... including the 200mm up top right? There is more than enough airflow in there, even with silent fans, for a GTX480, lol. The whole body of the 300 is grilled, so even low speed silent fans will give you plenty of cool air (in volume, you don't need high speed cold air for intake). With that in mind, I'll also second ST's recommendation for a Gelid Wing or similar silent fan (no need for ultra-silent Noctua/Nexus fans as the videocard + HSF fans are louder already anyways).
Old March 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

R4s for heatsinks are bloody awesome for their usual price of 10bucks. I still prefer the CM BladeMaster or Scythe SFlex to the R4....but thats personal pref as I prefer FDB's to sleeve or rifle or ball or 1B1S bearing fans or ceramic ball or....etc etc (and the Blademasters are tougher to find than the R4s).

I think ST is upto like 50 or 60 of the R4s with only a couple bad ones in the mix. Thats not too shabby odds! ;)

For case fans, unless you are going ultra silent (and therefore going Scyte SFLEX D or Noctua's). I like the Gelid fans too. Good price, decent noise envelope, decent performance. If you dont mind simple volt modding then the NCIX Yate Loon package deals are also a good choice. High speed fan @ 12v = low speed, low noise, longer life at 5v. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 30, 2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Can anyone send me the link and/or model # to the fans you recommend?

I really like the look and recommmendations of the Gelid fans on NCIX. Over 99% favorable, it seems like.

I think I might just order two and my actual build can wait a couple of days. If the $10 shipping means it gets here the next day or two, then I guess that's acceptable.

So, is the Gelid Wing 12 a good choice for the heatsink/cpu and the Silent 12 is good for the front/intake?

I have a S-Flex 12 that could, alternately, be used for the heatsink or intake.

Is this fan any good?
NCIX.com - Buy Silenx iXtrema Pro 120MM Quiet Fan 1100RPM 46CFM 11DBA Fluid Dynamic Bearings 3/4PIN - IXP-74-11 In Canada.

I got it a while ago when it was on sale. I didn't need it so I could also use it for the 300.

So, Gelid Wing 12 for cpu/heatsink or the CM R4?

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I think it's okay to have an extra fan since I'm reading some people don't like the stock Antec Tri-cools. Since most of the fans in the local stores are overpriced and don't carry the good names, it's okay to have a spare.
Old March 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
R4s for heatsinks are bloody awesome for their usual price of 10bucks. I still prefer the CM BladeMaster or Scythe SFlex to the R4....but thats personal pref as I prefer FDB's to sleeve or rifle or ball or 1B1S bearing fans or ceramic ball or....etc etc (and the Blademasters are tougher to find than the R4s).

I think ST is upto like 50 or 60 of the R4s with only a couple bad ones in the mix. Thats not too shabby odds! ;)

For case fans, unless you are going ultra silent (and therefore going Scyte SFLEX D or Noctua's). I like the Gelid fans too. Good price, decent noise envelope, decent performance. If you dont mind simple volt modding then the NCIX Yate Loon package deals are also a good choice. High speed fan @ 12v = low speed, low noise, longer life at 5v. :)
I had to mod those Yate loons to be able to hook them onto my TRUE Black, took the dremel to them on the corners because they put a full tube for the screw hole instead of just the usual 2mm
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 30, 2010, 03:42 PM

thats why I said "case fan" and not cooler fan encorp. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 30, 2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Can anyone send me the link and/or model # to the fans you recommend?

I really like the look and recommmendations of the Gelid fans on NCIX. Over 99% favorable, it seems like.

I think I might just order two and my actual build can wait a couple of days. If the $10 shipping means it gets here the next day or two, then I guess that's acceptable.

So, is the Gelid Wing 12 a good choice for the heatsink/cpu and the Silent 12 is good for the front/intake?

I have a S-Flex 12 that could, alternately, be used for the heatsink or intake.

Is this fan any good?
NCIX.com - Buy Silenx iXtrema Pro 120MM Quiet Fan 1100RPM 46CFM 11DBA Fluid Dynamic Bearings 3/4PIN - IXP-74-11 In Canada.

I got it a while ago when it was on sale. I didn't need it so I could also use it for the 300.

So, Gelid Wing 12 for cpu/heatsink or the CM R4?

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I think it's okay to have an extra fan since I'm reading some people don't like the stock Antec Tri-cools. Since most of the fans in the local stores are overpriced and don't carry the good names, it's okay to have a spare.
I am not a fond lover (by any stetch of the imagination) of SilentX fans. There noise numbers are usually out to lunch...with the CFM numbers as a guest. ;)

Gelid fans are OK for a cooler. BUT if you have a SFlex E or F. That is the one I would use for my cooler. Great fan.

Old March 30, 2010, 05:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I am not a fond lover (by any stetch of the imagination) of SilentX fans. There noise numbers are usually out to lunch...with the CFM numbers as a guest. ;)

Gelid fans are OK for a cooler. BUT if you have a SFlex E or F. That is the one I would use for my cooler. Great fan.
I wasn't either till I spooled up some SilenX fans. They just have a wierd vibration when they start but are much quieter than some others out there. CFM is fairly accurate however you are right DBA is always out to lunch no matter which fan you try.

NCIX.com - Buy GELID Solutions GELID Silent 12 1000RPM 120MM Quiet Fan 37CFM 20.2DBA HDB 3PIN - FN-SX12-10 In Canada.

- Silence, and good quality from Gelid. Althought the volume of air it moves may or may not be up to your standards.

NCIX.com - Buy Zalman ZM-F3 120MM Sleeve Bearing Case Fan Black 900/1800RPM 20/34DBA 3PIN Connector - ZM-F3 In Canada.

THese tend to Undervolt really well and make for a Quiet Fan if you don't want Excessive noise.

Otherwise I stand by The R4, but a case full of them isn't bad for noise so long as you don't put them on a Clear SIde Panel as every fan I have found on side windows make more noise than at other points on the case.

AkG is right, I think the count is 60 now for these fans (many many many builds). I've had 5 Failures (3 Noise, 2 LED's failed) and NCIX has been a godsend for the RMA Process. No shipping charge Either way, and 1 year is covered by them. Like how much better can it get?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com