Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I am not a fond lover (by any stetch of the imagination) of SilentX fans. There noise numbers are usually out to lunch...with the CFM numbers as a guest. ;)

Gelid fans are OK for a cooler. BUT if you have a SFlex E or F. That is the one I would use for my cooler. Great fan.
I have a S-Flex SFF21F fan.

Yeah, I read mixed reviews on the SilentX but this is after I bought it. I guess I read the positive reviews first but since then, I read on one forum site, the consensus was quite negative and statements that there was some fishy specs/data or something like that. I am not a big fan of the look, btw.

I like the look of Noctua and Gelid fans but I know it depends on how it well it works and the design.

I can use the SilentX as a backup fan but then I would still need one more. ;)

I have a Yate Loon D12BL-12. Any good? I don't have screws with it though? I found 3 screws that look like the YL screws on the NCIX page for the YL fan, though. They're short and small, though. Not sure about it.

Sounds like I need to make some decisions, though, if I order a fan or two. ;) Might add a drive or another component, we'll see. :)
Old March 30, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
thats why I said "case fan" and not cooler fan encorp. ;)
Quote:
I am not a fond lover (by any stetch of the imagination) of SilentX fans. There noise numbers are usually out to lunch...with the CFM numbers as a guest. ;)

Gelid fans are OK for a cooler. BUT if you have a SFlex E or F. That is the one I would use for my cooler. Great fan.
Haha yeah I re-read that after and thought "well my comment dosn't really apply" and figured I'd leave it, since I'm now resourcing fans for this case I've been working on for over a year.

I started with Noctua's. In my opinion they are the perfect fan; I actually like the colour scheme. Except they don't match this specific build at all so I was trying to keep it themed. Tried Gelid's, spec wise they worked but their quality in materials is lacking, the plastic feels cheap... I don't like that.

Then I picked up the 5 pack of Yate Loons; they are decent in quality wise but still not up to my standards. I hacked two of em to fit onto my TRUE Black.

Anyways; I'm hijacking this op's thread.. point is.. I'm looking into Sflex's as you mentioned above. I really want some Noiseblockers but I can't just yet get them here.

Also; how do I know which ones are SFlex "E" or "F"? I'll buy them off NCIX.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 30, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that ImmaPC has some blademaster-like fans.

I like the Green R4's....

-Plato
Old March 31, 2010, 03:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Haha yeah I re-read that after and thought "well my comment dosn't really apply" and figured I'd leave it, since I'm now resourcing fans for this case I've been working on for over a year.

I started with Noctua's. In my opinion they are the perfect fan; I actually like the colour scheme. Except they don't match this specific build at all so I was trying to keep it themed. Tried Gelid's, spec wise they worked but their quality in materials is lacking, the plastic feels cheap... I don't like that.

Then I picked up the 5 pack of Yate Loons; they are decent in quality wise but still not up to my standards. I hacked two of em to fit onto my TRUE Black.

Anyways; I'm hijacking this op's thread.. point is.. I'm looking into Sflex's as you mentioned above. I really want some Noiseblockers but I can't just yet get them here.

I have a SFlex 'F."

The same one as this:
NCIX.com - Buy Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB - SFF21F In Canada.

I think you can know which one by the letter at the end of the model number.

It's interesting, your comments on Yate Loons. They do look like any standard fan to me but get good reviews. Also, I think some good name fans use the same parts or have Yate Loon manufacture them?

I like the Noctua fans, too. Very expensive, though, but then again, TriCool 120 fans go for $19.99 in a local store! I thought Gelid fans were good from decent reviews but fans can be a hassle if poor quality and it doesn't help if it dies some time while in the case. Fans in local stores are a rip off! High prices for no-name fans with no speed control. No name is on them and they are on avg., $12! I'd rather order them from NCIX or some online vendor where I can choose which one.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread! :)
Old March 31, 2010, 10:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

The Gelids are nice, I don't think 'cheap' feeling plastic has anything to do with how well the fan performs and looks. Its all about the Blades, Bearings, and Ratings. Heck the plastic on most fans (Unless you're talking 20-30 Panflos/Deltas/SanAce) is gonna feel any better.

The 5 Pack of YL's (Red Blades / Black Housing right?) are a more basic offering than the one I suggested. The YL Blue 88's are bar none an amazing case fan and can be controlled easily via Controllers.

All in all the looks are up to the user, I am merely suggesting and providing options that I have myself tested. My list of Fans Grows each Day.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 31, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I have a SFlex 'F."

The same one as this:
NCIX.com - Buy Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB - SFF21F In Canada.

I think you can know which one by the letter at the end of the model number.

It's interesting, your comments on Yate Loons. They do look like any standard fan to me but get good reviews. Also, I think some good name fans use the same parts or have Yate Loon manufacture them?

I like the Noctua fans, too. Very expensive, though, but then again, TriCool 120 fans go for $19.99 in a local store! I thought Gelid fans were good from decent reviews but fans can be a hassle if poor quality and it doesn't help if it dies some time while in the case. Fans in local stores are a rip off! High prices for no-name fans with no speed control. No name is on them and they are on avg., $12! I'd rather order them from NCIX or some online vendor where I can choose which one.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread! :)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The Gelids are nice, I don't think 'cheap' feeling plastic has anything to do with how well the fan performs and looks. Its all about the Blades, Bearings, and Ratings. Heck the plastic on most fans (Unless you're talking 20-30 Panflos/Deltas/SanAce) is gonna feel any better.

The 5 Pack of YL's (Red Blades / Black Housing right?) are a more basic offering than the one I suggested. The YL Blue 88's are bar none an amazing case fan and can be controlled easily via Controllers.

All in all the looks are up to the user, I am merely suggesting and providing options that I have myself tested. My list of Fans Grows each Day.

ST
And I appreciate it!

Right now I want to replace the two fans on my TRUE Black. I'm considering the Sflex's AKG suggested.

The R4's don't seem too bad; but i'm concerned with my own silly ideologies regarding textile feel of a fan. It's retarded I know.

My order of need's always goes like this:

Quality
Performance
Looks

Noctua's fit the bill perfectly, Yate loons are close. I don't mind the Gelid's at all but they do feel flimsy to me, and that is important.

I've got many CM fans laying around, R4's even that i've not used.. I could try them out!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 31, 2010, 12:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks!

And I appreciate it!

Right now I want to replace the two fans on my TRUE Black. I'm considering the Sflex's AKG suggested.

The R4's don't seem too bad; but i'm concerned with my own silly ideologies regarding textile feel of a fan. It's retarded I know.

My order of need's always goes like this:

Quality
Performance
Looks

Noctua's fit the bill perfectly, Yate loons are close. I don't mind the Gelid's at all but they do feel flimsy to me, and that is important.

I've got many CM fans laying around, R4's even that i've not used.. I could try them out!

I agree. Your Order holds the same Merits in my eyes as well when I am shopping. Mind you the feel doesn't do anything for me save the Blades themselves as the ones with poor material there make poor fans.
The R4's are great if a little noisy on a side panel Fan or in a case with 9 of them.
I am open minded to all different types. Most people don't like SilenX but After testing them I found that besides a few Quirks they are actually good , Though Expensive, Performers.

Give the R4's a try and I am sure you will be happy if you can live with the 'different' noise they produce. They also undervolt in a really good linear fashion. They only Lack an FDB which seperates them from the rest.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 31, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds good! I have them sitting here so I'll try em out!

Oh this box of fans is growing @_@
Old April 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

PM NCIX for some noctua 120mm fans I got mine for 15.99 each as opposed to the 20.99 retail. Ive tried all fans and these are worth the $$
Old April 13, 2010, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
PM NCIX for some noctua 120mm fans I got mine for 15.99 each as opposed to the 20.99 retail. Ive tried all fans and these are worth the $$

True Noctua Fans Are good, but they are not for the feint of heart either. To some the colour pattern is not their favorite. To others paying the price premiums for Noctua are not always the best bet.

I prefer value for performance than sheer performance.

ST