Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2010, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That would be me mate. I have this obsessive thing with Fans cooling, thermals etc etc lol.

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 25, 2010, 10:09 AM
Banned
F@H

ive used sunbeams for a while. a long time ago it looks like they had some issues, havent heard anything lately(with the exception of VERY bright leds)

lamptron is on another plane. beast indeed. a bit overkill for the normal user.
Old March 25, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

More watts let you daisy-chain fans, say for a rad. It also helps when you want to use Delta's or something. Also keep in mind that you fan draws more power than 4W or whatever for startup, usually something like 8-10W I believe (I may be wrong) but only for a second at most.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:47 PM
Rookie

So I have received the fans and the 212+. I'll be setting up the 212+ tomorrow after work.

I decided to toss the R4s into the front and rear of the case to test them out... and man are they ever loud compared to my old fans. The fans themselves are virtually silent, but it's just the amount of air they move. I don't think I'd be able to stand these as case fans without a fan controller of some sort.

I had S-Flex SFF21Es in front and rear before these. It's a big change... about 20CFM and 800RPM.

I'm sure that, with a proper controller, these fans would be fantastic. They are well put together, look great, and most importantly, they push decent air with minimal(non-existant) mechanical noise.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:27 PM
Banned
F@H

sometimes, even tough the buzz is not there naymore after toning down the rpms, you can still be bothered by the hum or so that follows said procedure.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
sometimes, even tough the buzz is not there naymore after toning down the rpms, you can still be bothered by the hum or so that follows said procedure.
R4's Undervolt Perfectly.

No Buzz or strange noises and I've now Run them on Two Different Controllers.

Yeah they move a lot of air, thats where most of the noise comes from.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 31, 2010, 08:51 PM
Banned
F@H

cool, so basically the pallets hitting the air? good

how do you feel about sharp or rounded blade points?
Old April 1, 2010, 06:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
cool, so basically the pallets hitting the air? good

how do you feel about sharp or rounded blade points?

Both can move the same volume of Air. However I've found over time the ones with a rounded 'scoop' type of setup are more Apt in the static pressure department.

Case and Point:

Aerocool Xtreme Turbine - 88 CFM, 0.62mm H20 (Flat, sharp blades)

CoolerMaster R4 - 69 CFM , 2.92mm H20 (Rounded Blades)

Also, Blade count and pitch play important factors.

ST

Old April 1, 2010, 09:23 AM
Banned
F@H

cool. i still have some 12-24 volt fans from way back..sanyo or something. at 24 volts theyre supposed to move a ton of air. at 12v they move some too, with a slight hum
Old April 1, 2010, 08:14 PM
Rookie

I took the time to install the heat sink this evening. Ran into a small problem with the back plate and the motherboard, but it wasn't anything that a dremel couldn't remedy.

In the following pictures, you can see that one of the mounting points over laps an SMD transistor and resistor. Before the modification:

After the modification:

A comparison:

It's all set up and everything is back up and running. I have a feeling it's not mounted perfectly because core 2 and 3 are reading a few degrees lower than 0 and 1, consistently... we'll see. I'll go back and try again if required.