Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2010, 12:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Battle of titans: TR vs. Noctua vs. Prolimatech

My friend Ramiro did a test with top dogs.

Next from my friend will be a HDT round-up (until then a sneak peak with CM Hyper 212+). Stay tuned.

I'll try to translate last page (hoping better than Google Translate) but bear with me.

Conclusions

Battle of titans is over and it's hard to me to nominate a winner. I'm keep telling that now we don't have a supreme heatsink and results confirm that but we can see that we have on the market more complete and good performers heatsinks and it's hard to make a difference between them.
It's very important for readers to see first what are the weak spots of each heatsink and what performance they have in different conditions for taking a good decision in buying one.

If I must choose a winner looking only at numbers I can say that NH-D14 is the winner but looking at all those small differences in almost all test conditions I can say that the real winner of this test is the user which can choose from a couple of very good heatsinks.

Thermalright VenomousX

The results speak for themselves but I must say that Thermalright did a hell of a job with this heatsink because they manage to squeeze every bit of performance from this architecture. The heatsink in not massive it's even lighter than TRUE and despite that performance is top notch in a select company. The improvements waited by enthusiasts are finally done and I must say kudos to TR for doing that.

I have only one wish, even if VenoumousX is an exceptional heatsink I want to see from TR the real king's successor: Ultra 140 Extreme with his 8 heatpipes and a weight of ~1000g could be next standard for future air cooling.

Prolimatech Megashadows

It was the most complete heatsink until NH-D14 appears but even now it's a very good heatsink. His strong points are architecture, quality and of course performance at low airflow and coupled with his dimensions and look made it long-expected by many users.

Megashadow remains a very good choice his behavior is close enough to best of the best.

Cogage Arrow

It brings some improvements to IFX-14 which was a very good heatsink on Nehalem. We see that it have best TIM pattern though it doesn't have best base and that helps to achieve those outstanding results. Mounting system is better and have enough pressure. I must say that TIM included is a minus, Chill Factor is not very good for such a good heatsink. I proved the problems that rose from base but bottom line I can say that it's a success and Cogage take a good start in this area where competition is tough.

Noctua NH-D14

It remains the most complete heatsink on the market, we saw that's invincible at extreme categories and have top results in other categories. In cooling area it's very hard to make a complete heatsink which can lead every category but Noctua manage to reach this almost impossible goal thus kudos to Noctua.
Bottom line Noctua is top dog in air cooling.

At the end I hope the you enjoy this article and of course I'm expecting more impressive heatsinks from others, some of them were exposed at CeBIT.
Old March 19, 2010, 01:27 AM
Banned
F@H

nice but could you also link the original language for those who speak it? :)
Old March 19, 2010, 01:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sure, if you know Romanian be my guest.