Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default ThermalRight Venomous X Mounting... Issue?

I got the thermalright venomous x installed but it "twists" about 10* (degrees) left and right - is this normal?
Old March 16, 2010, 10:10 PM
MVP

Can't speak for the cooler specifically, but other coolers don't (or shouldn't) and I'd be a little concerned. I'd check to make sure there aren't any screws, etc. that can be tightened down (obvious, I know, but it's like saying to check power connections; simple mistake, but more common than you might think).

EDIT: A quick google search shows some other people with a similar issue. The mounting system is set up so that it will twist a bit if you force it, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the temps. If nothing else can be tightened down any further it looks like you're fine.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
Banned
F@H

i havent used this one, but watch out for washers and such.i got one or two wrong in the past and the effect was less than desirable
Old March 17, 2010, 04:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

A small amount of wiggle is normal with thermalake coolers. Unlike Prolimatech for example, TT is still using a single central retaining pin. It happens with TRUEs, it happens with V X's. TBH its nothing to worry about as its not as bas previous gens....and when you apply 70lbs of force, it dont want to spin all that much! ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 17, 2010, 05:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Same issues on previous thermalright models like the ultra-120. Its normal and is no big deal really.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old March 17, 2010, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

mine wiggles a little but you can just tight it down with the pressure plate adjustment on the cooler it helps a lot whit it moving
Old March 17, 2010, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
A small amount of wiggle is normal with thermalake coolers. Unlike Prolimatech for example, TT is still using a single central retaining pin. It happens with TRUEs, it happens with V X's. TBH its nothing to worry about as its not as bas previous gens....and when you apply 70lbs of force, it dont want to spin all that much! ;)
Looks like you got your companies mixed up AkG. It's ThermalRIGHT not ThermalTake Well, I guess as long as temps are good there is no worry.
Old March 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Looks like you got your companies mixed up AkG. It's ThermalRIGHT not ThermalTake Well, I guess as long as temps are good there is no worry.
Actually, he said ThermaLake ;).
Old March 17, 2010, 03:34 PM
Allstar

yah, its perfectly normal. Corsair and thermalright mounting hardware is atrocious IMO but their still great coolers.

its why i prefer prolimatech/noctua mounting systems
Old March 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

rofl
Thats what I get for posting a reply BEFORE my first shot of caffeine so early in the morning! :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr