Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2010, 01:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cooler Recomendations for 3.6ghz o/c on Q6600

My current setup: Intel Q6600 CPU with a Zalman 9500 and D975XBX2(Intel Bad Axe 2) motherboard. NZXT Lexa S case

I've been having trouble getting good temps above 3ghz with this cooler unless I turn up the fan speed, which I don't want to do as it's very loud on anything above the lowest setting.

So I've been looking around for a replacement cooler so that I can reach my goal of 3.6ghz on air cooling which should be the upper limit for this processor. But I also want to keep my computer very quiet.

I was originally thinking of getting the Prolimatech Megahalems/Megashadow or the Thermalright Venomous X/TRUE, but then I realized these have a larger contact surface with more heat pipes which are optimized for processors like the i7 920. The reviews on the Prolimatech really reflect that as they don't seem to give big performance gains on smaller dies and processors with lower temps.

I didn't want to pay a premium that I may not have needed to so I kept looking. I found the Cooler Master Hyper 212 for $22 and the Scythe Mugen 2 for $35. Both seem to be great performers at a low price but I'm concerned about the performance if I only use low rpm/noise fans.

So now I'm looking at the Noctua NH-D14, Prolimatech Armageddon and the Zalman Performa. Then I realize I'm getting nowhere in my decision and could use a recommendation or two.

This post is starting to get long so to sum it up I'm looking for the following:

-enough performance to overclock my cpu to 3.6ghz at safe temps(~60deg)
-quiet or option to replace fan
-availability in Canada, I'm not looking to get it shipped from other countries

Things I'm not worried about:

-size, I should have enough height clearance for most coolers and my motherboard layout is pretty good
-price, but I don't want to buy an expensive cooler that I can't make good use of

And one more thing to add, I probably don't have great airflow in my case since I don't use any of the stock fans that came with it, I replaced two left a top vent empty and don't use the side fan bolted to the window. All the 120mm fans are really loud, buzz and vibrate a lot.
Attached Images

Old March 13, 2010, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hyper212+ with dual fan setup should be more than enough.

Fans could be anywhere from Gelid Wing 12s, or Yate loons, to the excellent CM R4

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old March 13, 2010, 05:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Gelid Wing 12's would be nice for case fans as well, they come with a speed control, and the silicone mounts absorb any vibration. Not that they are into vibration, very nice fans. And the added bonus of being able to remove the fan itself, it just pops off the hub for cleaning, it's that nanoflux bearing they use.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You may not be able to have a high overclock + whisper quiet rig. The Q6600 runs fairly hot when overclocked so you will need to start with good case ventilation. The best cooler in the universe will struggle if the case is hot. The Coolermaster Hyper is a very good value and comes with hardware to mount two fans. After that I would go right to the big guns Mega/True as they have the capacity to dissipate lots of heat.