Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Thermal Paste (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/29667-thermal-paste.html)

killerjay_47 March 8, 2010 08:02 PM

Thermal Paste

I'm in the process of putting together a new i7 build, and I'm about to install the Zalman Flex heat sink. My question is about the thermal paste.

I have some Arctic Silver 5 kicking around from a much older build - back when AS5 was the stuff to use for that. Does thermal paste go bad sitting in its tube?

If the answer is no, then would it be advisable to go ahead and use the AS5 or should I run out and grab some MX-2 or something else? How much of a difference does it make? I'm not going to be going for any extreme overclocking or anything.

Thanks in advance.

_dangtx_ March 8, 2010 08:17 PM

look for pointers like separation, or if its become harder. consistency. anything funny? dont use it. dispose of it properly.

CroSsFiRe2009 March 10, 2010 08:47 PM

I agree with Dangtx here, if stored properly it shouldn't be that bad. If you need to go and get a new tube, I'd suggest OCZ Freeze if you can PM @ncix, it's relatively cheap and performs with the best of them

jcmaz March 10, 2010 10:02 PM

Or MX2 or that IC7 Diamond stuff if you're rich :)

bovine.baron March 10, 2010 10:25 PM

I'd say IC7 Diamond even if you're not rich. My sample tube's starting to run out and I won't hesitate to buy it again when I need more.

Soultribunal March 11, 2010 09:04 AM

Usually Thermal paste if its kept with the cap tightly on it shouldn't spoil.

That being said OCZ Freeze (I do Support good OCZ products lol) is very good, as well as IC7 Diamond. I've got a IC24 Tube that I will continue to use, its thick as all hell but really does the job well.

ST

CroSsFiRe2009 March 11, 2010 03:13 PM

I find IC7 to be pretty good but its hard to clean off but when it does, all of it comes off unlike the freeze. Can't ever seem to get rid of all the Freeze TIM whenever I use it even with alcohol.
High end paste is almost all the same. In my testing(albeit limited) freeze was almost the same as the IC7 in terms of temps.

artistpavel March 11, 2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerjay_47 (Post 344257)
If the answer is no, then would it be advisable to go ahead and use the AS5 or should I run out and grab some MX-2 or something else? How much of a difference does it make? I'm not going to be going for any extreme overclocking or anything.

I picked MX-2 from Ncix recently and then learned they have MX-3, I wont pay for another shipping, but I wish I picked MX-3 instead.

sswilson March 11, 2010 04:01 PM

I've been using MX-2 as my default tim for quite some time and have found it to be the best overall mix of performance vrs ease-of-use. I also went through one of the IC24 tubes and would highly recommend it based on performance, and the fact that it seemed to offer the best first-time-right mounts of any tim I've used. My only complaint about the IC tims is that they are abrasive.

Kenjuta March 15, 2010 02:53 PM

i still like the AS5
if it seperate you can always mix it back together
the company claim that'll be good enough