Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2010, 07:21 PM
Rookie

Default Need help regarding Case Fan

Is ther a 3pin to 4pin adaptor for case fans? My motherboard have CHA_FAN 1-3 while 2 and 3 are 3 pin configureation which fits my case fan, but fan 1 is a 4 pin setup.

Also can someone tell me what PWR_FAN is? From the drawing provided by the manual it looks exactly the same as the 3pin fan with Rotation, +12V, and Ground. Can I connect my case fan into that?

Thanks
Old March 8, 2010, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your Motherboard should have 1 Fan Connector that is 4-pin offset and it should say CPU_FAN. All the motherboards I've Ever owned have this.

What motherboard are you using?

And you can mount a 4pin to a 3pin header, it will just overhang and not use the PWM Function of the 4th wire.

As far as I'm aware there are no adaptors from 3-pin to 4-pin because PWM Fans have a 4th wire to modulate the fan speed. and no 3pin native fan is wired to do that.

Hopefully this helps.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 8, 2010, 07:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

PWR connection is for a power supply that requires an external fan connection though from what i hear it can be used for a case fan. just made a thread about this the other day but i haven't gotten my 80x15mm fan yet so i haven't tried
Old March 8, 2010, 07:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazzwa View Post
PWR connection is for a power supply that requires an external fan connection though from what i hear it can be used for a case fan. just made a thread about this the other day but i haven't gotten my 80x15mm fan yet so i haven't tried
That really can't be right. All PSU Fan's that I am aware of are auto regulated and sealed inisde their respective cases. ANd there is no way (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that a PSU needs a MB Connection. This is the first I've ever heard of that. Unless its ESA PSU to Monitor the RPM's and Actual Function of the PSU"s Fan.

You sure its not the PWR for a 3pin Chassis Power Connector? Or Power Button LED Connector?

Do not plug anything into that until you are 100%.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 8, 2010, 08:19 PM
Banned
F@H

given the appropriate notch in the plastic fan connector thingie on the mobo you can plug both a 3 pin and a 4 pin(pwm) fan in there.
watch out for power draw. i wouldnt want to put a 1 amp fan right to the motherboard..altough modern units should handle it.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:29 PM
Rookie

I have a ASUS P6X58D Premium.

So I guess I can still plug a 3pin fan into a 4pin slot, but will I have issue with it? I've took a loot at the manual, it has +5v, CHA Fan IN, CHA FAN PWR, and Ground. And I can see the small slot to align the pin does not extend all the way to the +5V pin, so I imagin its for a fan that requires extra power and can be excluded if its not need it (at least thats what I think).

and I've check the board again, it says PWR_FAN and it as the same pins as a 3pin case connector with Rotation, +12V, and Ground Pins.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
That really can't be right. All PSU Fan's that I am aware of are auto regulated and sealed inisde their respective cases. ANd there is no way (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong) that a PSU needs a MB Connection. This is the first I've ever heard of that. Unless its ESA PSU to Monitor the RPM's and Actual Function of the PSU"s Fan.

You sure its not the PWR for a 3pin Chassis Power Connector? Or Power Button LED Connector?

Do not plug anything into that until you are 100%.

ST

you know more then me so maybe i'm wrong. I've just read that its a power supply connection for psu's that require one not that i;ve seen a psu like this either. internet is full of false information so maybe i'm wrong
Old March 8, 2010, 10:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The PWR fan header is meant to run a ESA controlled fan in a PSU. It can be used as a normal fan header without issues. I wouldn't use the 4 pin header unless you run out of 3 pin headers.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:28 PM
Rookie

OK... so use the PWN_FAN?
and will I need to do anything special to get it working? Like Bios or anything elese?
Old March 9, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No just plug it in and turn the computer on :)

-Plato