Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2010, 11:50 PM
Top Prospect

Default Any comments on the Thermalright Venomous X?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my Thermalright Ultima-90 to the Venomous X simply because it's easier to obtain than some other heatsinks. Do you guys think this is a decent heatsink for a low airflow setup? I'll be using it to cool a Core i5 750.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:11 AM
MVP

The Venomous X? Looks to be a great cooler (being the followup to the TRUE). Reviews certainly look good, and it'll cool damn well.

However, I'm not sure if it's the perfect match for your CPU. Strangely, the best coolers sometimes perform worse on cooler CPUs than some lower-end coolers. Case-in-point a Hyper 212 Plus will cool a stock Q6600 better than the Megahalems because the HDT is more efficient at moving away heat from the CPU, but it doesn't handle an OCed 920 as well because it lacks the mass of the Megahalems.

Anyway, if you're not OCing (or not OCing especially high) I'd say save your money and go for a Hyper 212 Plus. If you're doing a really good OC, the Venomous X is great.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For quiet cooling, the NH-U12P is pretty good due to the large fin spacing. The Venemous X would not be that good due to the tight spacing.
Old March 7, 2010, 04:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Venom X is a very good cooler. Almost as good as the other top of the line kit, like Prolimatech. The improved fin design does allow it to "like" lower static and speed fans better than the TRUE, but I'd still take a Noctua or Prolimatech or maybe even a Zalman CNPS10X Flex. for low speed setups you cant beat the Prolimatech coolers. :)

The biggest weakness the Venom X has is it has a SMALLER fin array than a TRUE this limits it at higher heat loads. IF they make an "eXtreme" version it would be an awesome cooler, but as it stands its very good...but not great.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 7, 2010, 05:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I went from a xigmatek 1283 to a Venomous on a 920 @ stock and temps where only a little better then the xiggie. but this is only at stock speed i never test any OC
Old March 8, 2010, 05:04 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Venom X is a very good cooler. Almost as good as the other top of the line kit, like Prolimatech. The improved fin design does allow it to "like" lower static and speed fans better than the TRUE, but I'd still take a Noctua or Prolimatech or maybe even a Zalman CNPS10X Flex. for low speed setups you cant beat the Prolimatech coolers. :)

The biggest weakness the Venom X has is it has a SMALLER fin array than a TRUE this limits it at higher heat loads. IF they make an "eXtreme" version it would be an awesome cooler, but as it stands its very good...but not great.
I'm planning to use it with a low RPM 120mm fan. I'm looking at the Venom X because my Ultima 90 can't be used with my LGA1156 setup so I mind as well get something that is not only compatible with my i5 750, but also perform better. Another reason why I'm opting for the Venom X is that it's C$59.99 at Ncix while it seems like the other coolers are more expensive. Can you point me to a source that will sell other good heatsinks for low RPM setups for less than C$59.99?