Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2010, 10:29 AM
Trial Member

Question Question about the Titan Fenrir

Hi there. I'm looking for some advice regarding the Titan Fenrir CPU cooler.

I've been reading several articles, including the review on this site and several others, advising the Titan Fenrir as a good CPU cooler. I'm looking at possible replacing the one I have (Asetek Vapochill Extreme) as a reinstallation mishap has left the pushpins broken and I was only able to refit it using some jury rigging involving some alternative fasteners.

My main concern is whether or not the Titan Fenrir will fit in my current setup, given I've read concerns about it's size. The motherboard I'm using is a Asus P5WD2-E Premium with a Intel Pentium XE 955 inside a Lian Li PC-A77B case. My main concern is that the motherboard has been customised by it's last owner (I bought the whole system minus the case) with a custom Northbridge cooler (I'll post a photo if needed) which seems to be about between 1 and a half/2 times taller than the original passive Northbridge heatsink that the motherboard originally came with. I'm concerned that the addition of this Northbridge cooler may mean I can't install the Fenrir. I'm particularly conscious of this as I don't have the original passive heatsink available to simply replace the chipset cooler with. RAM clearance are less of an issue being Corsair XMS2 DIMMs but I'd rather know now if the RAM DIMM slots may not provide enough clearance.

Given that, does any have any advice with regards to these concerns? I thank you for your time. So far, no one else has given any advice on this elsewhere.