Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2010, 06:01 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It's certainly information that we'd benefit from if the manufacturers would provide their testing results WRT most efficient orientation as was the case in your original post.
My point exactly! Since tower HSFs with heatpipes came out everyone always asks "Which way is best to mount it?" Now the answers are more complex it seems.
Old February 22, 2010, 06:03 PM
Banned
F@H

someone know what liquid they put in the tube.....
Old February 22, 2010, 06:05 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
But no matter what the liquid is, its obviously being affected by gravity. I was just startled in my first post when i noticed a company admitting to the fact that the cooler may not perform properly when oriented in such a way that the whatever-liquid will not travel as easily.
Old February 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
But no matter what the liquid is, its obviously being affected by gravity. I was just startled in my first post when i noticed a company admitting to the fact that the cooler may not perform properly when oriented in such a way that the whatever-liquid will not travel as easily.

I try to understand if the liquid work with diffusion or advection or may be both of them , I guess if they use a liquid that work with advection , the heat will not like to go down. it will be interesting to know what liquid each manufacturer use. they don't need to publish a MSDS ???

One think I notice in your Schema, it's about the same as the One of Noctua, except that Noctua permit 1 vertical way, with the turn in the pipe at botton, and the longuest run going up
Old February 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Usually water or some kind of alcohol.
Old February 23, 2010, 09:01 PM
MVP

Interesting. Would the tubes not be better in a horizontal lay-out versus vertical, as the fluid would have to go up for half of the pipes. Horizontal the fluid would go back and forth.
Old February 24, 2010, 01:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, I learned a lot by this post. Too bad manufacturers don't specify to this detail how their heat sinks are constructed (using which method and such).
Old February 24, 2010, 06:40 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
Interesting. Would the tubes not be better in a horizontal lay-out versus vertical, as the fluid would have to go up for half of the pipes. Horizontal the fluid would go back and forth.
I think its more of an issue with one "side" of all the heatpipes being "low" in a tower setup. The fluid within the pipes has to fight gravity on the low side too much, making the high side do most of the work.

Ill clarify, since it's hard to visualize: Take a TRUE in E/W configuration in a tower case. The heatsinks 6 heatpipes are oriented in a "U" shape where one side of the "U" is much lower than the other. In this case, the "low" sides of heatpipes will supposedly not be able to transfer heat as well - the heated liquid in the heatpipes will not want to travel "down" to the lower pipes, but will rather rise to the higher side to be cooled by the TRUEs fins. Theoretically this will make the "low" side of the heatpipes much less effective.