Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2010, 01:34 PM
Rookie

Default Xigmatek Thor's Hammer Query

I have a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer; i think it's a revision 2 model.

The earlier Thor's hammers had an issue with the aluminuim shims protruding by a small amount from the surface of the HDT base or so i've been told by my dealer. Can't find ANY info about this online though. [E-mailed Xigmatek, waiting for a response.] One mm or so i think, but disastrous when it came to good contact with the processor. I'm guessing mine is a revision two model because it's surface is a flat but the machine marks on the exposed copper can be seen. It's bloody flat nonetheless.

Does anyone have any info about this issue? I checked the box, serial numbers and the documentation-there's no mention of a 'version number' and such.

Also, what is the best orientation for the Hammer? With the fans airflow directed South to North(from case bottom to top) or East to West(from case front to back).
Does the way the core on a i7920 is arranged have bearing on the correct mounting orientation of a HDT cooler[ but NOT a non-HDT cooler ]? HDT pipes going EAST to WEST means better contact against the core under the IHS yes?

From what i understand, mounting the cooler with base pipes parallel to the PCI-e slots, i.e with the airflow in a South to North direction would be best in a case with a fan on the top like my HAF932.
Any body have any numbers comparing the two orientations? I'd greatly appreciate that.

I'm running a Corei7920 OC'ed to 4.0ghz at 1.28 V. I'm getting temps like 84-85 C on full load in Prime 95 Large FFT's and Blend and i'd like to bring them down. The overclock is stable nonetheless.

What is the best TIM compound for the Thor's Hammer? What is the stock compound that comes with the cooler, Stars copper grease or Silver Grease?
Will Tuniq TX-2 oxidise the exposed copper on the Hammers base heatpipes?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, I want to get the most out of my Hammer.

Many many thanks.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like East/West coz my intake fans are from the front and exhaust from the back. I have used the Tuniq TX2, it didn't oxidize. Air might oxidize it more than anything else.

-Plato
Old February 21, 2010, 11:10 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply jcmaz. But i just need to clarify? Which cooler are you running,what processor, Overclocking if any, what are your temps?

Thanks.
Old February 22, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using the Sunbeam Core Contact on an AMD 5200+ overclocked from 2.7 to 2.9ghz.

Idle temps are 29*C. Ambient temp about 10-15*C.
Load is ~55*C

All of this is in an Antec 300 loaded with fans :)

-Plato